We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castel San Angelo/ Capitoline museum pre buy tickets in Oct?

Huntington Beach CA
Level Contributor
671 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Castel San Angelo/ Capitoline museum pre buy tickets in Oct?

Planning my itinerary for my 1st time in Rome, at the end of October. I was thinking of going to Castel San Angelo. The website is only in Italian. Do you think I need to pre buy tickets or will I be ok to just show up & get tickets there without waiting in a long line? I am going to be pre buying tickets for the Vatican, Colosseum & Borghese museum. Anything else, I just wanted to play by ear & if I have time, just show up & buy tickets when I get there. Also I am thinking about going to Capitoline museum, but not pre buy tickets. I don't want to commit to too much & be swamped with too much to do. I want to wander & stroll & just enjoy. Thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
255 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
123,827 Reviews
Rome, Italy
3 replies to this topic
usa
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castel San Angelo/ Capitoline museum pre buy tickets in Oct?

I think you have a good plan. There's no need to buy Castel Sant'Angelo or Capitoline Museums tickets in advance. It's wise to wander, stroll and enjoy being there. There will be wonderful things everywhere!

Mentioned in this post
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
485 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castel San Angelo/ Capitoline museum pre buy tickets in Oct?

I visited both Castel Sant'Angelo and the Capitoline Museum in June, and there were no queues at either of those places, nor were they crowded inside. That was peak season, so I expect you should not need to buy in advance in October either.

Mentioned in this post
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
485 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castel San Angelo/ Capitoline museum pre buy tickets in Oct?

My experience is neither of those places have lines such that you need to pre-purchase tickets. The things you should consider pre-purchasing tickets are the ones you listed, i.e., Vatican Museums, Colosseum, Galleria Borghese .... I'd add to that things like the Scavi tour and any special tours you want to do.

And while October is still high season, the end of October starts quieting down a bit with respect to the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
32,281 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
123,827 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Galleria Borghese
Galleria Borghese
15,026 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Reply to: Castel San Angelo/ Capitoline museum pre buy tickets in Oct?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted