We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dc
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

I am going to Rome in July and am looking to go to some island for 3 days and hoping to get some suggestions on where to go. I'm flying in to Rome and thinking about possibly Sardinia or Sisly as one of the places to see. Can someone tell me where to go that I can take the train or a short flight? I want somewhere where there are beaches. Also, suggestions on nice hotels. Please advise

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

Sardinia if you fly. Otherwise Ponza is a small Island but lovely. Ferry boat from Anzio

http://www.ponza.com/

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

I agree 100% with Cinzia about Ponza. Maybe you could consider Giglio or Elba islands in Tuscany as well. Check the links for all the infos:

www.isoladelgiglio.it/english/endefault.htm

http://www.elba-online.com/elbaengl.html

I think that 3 days are not enough to go to Sardinia or Sicily, maybe closer seaside destinations would fit better.

Ciao Daniela

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

Ponza is very easy to get to, just a train to Anzio and then a hydrofoil. Or you may consider Monte Argentario, another pretty island.

dc
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

Thank you for your resposes and suggestions. Can anyone tell me how long is the train ride from Rome to those suggested islands?

Also, I was thinking about flying straight to Taominina Sicily and spending 3 days there before heading to Rome. I am told that it's an hour or so by plane to fly from Taominia to Rome. Is that correct?

Last, those islands someof you suggested, are there lots to do there and what is the weather like in July. We want to be able to get some sun and go to cafes, shops, etc while we are they. Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

dc
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

Regarding... the suggested islands, which ones can I go that will have nice beaches, cafes, nightlife and few sightseeing? Also, if you can suggested places to stay. I really like nice like 4-5 stars with excellent servies and walking distance to the districts if any. Thank you.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

The train from Termini station to Anzio is around 45 minutes. No change of train is required and it is the 2nd last stop. From the train sstation it is a short walk to the port area where the boats to Ponza leave from. There are these websites to look at for ponza www.ponza.it and www.ponza.com. There is english language option just click on the flag. If you fly and want dream like beaches - sardinia is the place. July weather should be beautiful and hot for the beach.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

There are 11 hotel reviews for ponza island as well...just search ponza, lazio hotels and these will come up so might be good to read these to help with more ideas.

8. Re: Suggestions on islands to go that are close to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 23:15