We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

Does anyone know of any nice restaurants or caf��s to pick up food in Rome? Some of the travel books seem to be written by people who are charging meals to the publisher's account so they consider ���40 to be cheap.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

I think it all depends on what you order. It's hard to find a cheap dinner unless you grab pizza or pannini in a snack shop. You can definitely have a cheaper meal if you don't eat all of the courses and have alcohol. Personally, I can't eat all of the courses so I usually order a pasta dish and house wine and that's it. Pasta dishes, I found, were about 8 to 10 Euro. When you add a meat or fish course, salad, antipasti and desert the bill can easily increase. As for where to go, I don't know if it's possible to have a bad meal. We wandered around and looked for places that were crowded and checked out the menu outside to see if the prices were in our range. No one looks at you funny if you only order one course, so you can definitely make your meal very reasonable by what you order.

OK
UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

We just came back from Rome yesterday - Two adults and two children on a real tight budget. We found a lot of really good restaurants to eat cheaply. We ordered starters and main meal and beer / wine and it was all (except one place) really excellent and very reasonable. Check the restaurants before you go in - the menus are usually posted somewhere outside so you know exactly what to expect. If you are at a tourist sight go back a couple of streets and the restaurants are cheaper than the ones right at the sight. We always went for icecream afterwards which is delicious and so cheap. For lunch we went to a supermarket and got bread,cheese , olives etc and had picnics which is also really cheap - Rome on the cheap can be done.

Graham, NC
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

My husband and I are traveling to Italy in May and have both done a lot of research to prepare. I've found that Frommer's Italy on $90 a day offers many alternatives for restaurants in about every budget. I've also used Rick Steve's web site (www.ricksteves.com) forum to get recommendations. Rick's books don't list the restaurants in enough detail, but his readers to a good job on the site. Hope this helps. Have fun!

usa
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

also wish to inqure about best quiet, relaxing affordable eats at or very near Fumicino Rome airport while layover 4 hrs this month, not time enough to tour Rome but would like pleaseant experience for possible future return?

usa
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

also read on other forum that sit-down and relax type restaruants in Italy do not serve dinner until 8pm... tell me otherwise please!!!! I would like possibilty to dine before that time in Rome.... any insight on this???

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

There is a lovely restaurant near the Spanish Steps which was very reasonable. Served mainly pasta, risottos and pizzas. Can't remember the name of it (could be something like "Giovanni") but if you have the Spanish Steps behind you walk left towards the tall monument and to the left is a little square and it is the smaller of the 2 restaurants facing you (the one on the right). The mushroom risotto was to die for and it is very cheap in there considering the location.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

Traveler50, at the earliest the restaurants open at 7pm. The cafes and bars are open all day. You can always find food - it's Rome! Grab a gelato if you need something to hold you over.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

I would avoid the the tourist traps in Piazza Navona and indeed anywhere offering a tourist menu. These are ususally three course meals but my wife and I find a large plate of pasta and an antipasto or a large pizza ample so with a tourist menu you may well find yourself paying for a course you do not want or need.

Always check the menus with prices that have to be posted outside and note the "pane e coperto" charge. This covers bread, butter and your table and can vary from as little as 1 euro to upwards of 10 euros per head. It can amount to a nasty shock if you are not aware of it. The menu outside the restaurant will state how much for pane e coperto. In theory pane e coperto was banned by the City Council in 1995 but in practice many restaurants still charge, or at least charge for pane.

Do not feel obliged to tip heavily - 5%, absolute maximum of 10 % if they have been particularly obliging and helpful.

Lots of restaurants start serving at 7 pm

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

Robert-J: Is the "pane e coperto" automatically added to your bill or is it only added if you EAT the bread on your table?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice eateries at a decent price in Rome

If you accept the bread when they bring it, you will be charged whether or not you eat it. If you don't accept it you will not be charged. Some restaurants though may still charge a cover (coperto).