We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe hotel or B & B for single woman in Rome?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Safe hotel or B & B for single woman in Rome?

Hello. My sister, who is in her 30s, will be traveling to Rome by herself and will not be a part of a tour. She will need to find a safe hotel or B & B in Rome that is close by the sights. My sister loves the nightlife too and likes to dance, so are there any clubs around that are safe too. Are there any suggestions? I notice that there's a lot of graphiti around Rome. Is it like NY City and unsafe in places?

Thanks!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe hotel or B & B for single woman in Rome?

Although some areas of Rome have a lot of graffiti, it has nothing to with being unsafe. Rome's city center (where your sister will likely spend all of her time) is very safe, day or night. While purse snatchings, etc., are somewhat common, violent street crime is very rare.

Rome has many hotels and B&Bs, in all price ranges. She should explore on Venere.com, a hotel booking site based in Italy.

Most people agree that the area around Piazza Navona and the Pantheon is the best place to be, both for its central location and the charm of old narrow streets. Nearby areas such as the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, etc., are fine too.

For a great mix of old-world charm, nightlife, and yes, graffiti, she should look into Trastevere.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe hotel or B & B for single woman in Rome?

The only safety issues I've heard of regarding lodging is with hostels.

I agree that in the historic center your sister will be quite safe.

Like travel in big cities anywhere she should be on guard for people who prey on tourists. I would also note that in my experience NYC is very safe and I have never been uncomfortable walking through it, so if perhaps she is uncomfortable with the hustle & bustle of city life she might find Rome overwhelming too.

I'm afraid that I'm well past my clubbing days but www.romace.it has a nice guide to happenings in Rome in English on their site.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
289 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe hotel or B & B for single woman in Rome?

I think your sister may like the Trastevere section of Rome. It's like Greenwich Village in NYC. It's so different from the other parts of Rome that we visited. It's very cool and has lots of night life and great restaurants. We stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere in mid-March. We loved it [Trastevere] because it so artsy and has lots going on and doesn't feel like the other parts of Rome we visited. We dubbed it the "Venice" part of Rome. Every restaurant was delicious--gelato, too. Yes, there is lots of grafitti around all the cities we visited in Italy. It's unfortunate and I don't know what to say. I don't equate it with crime. On that regard, be smart and alert and don't get caught up in crowds of tourists at the sites. We never felt unsafe in Trastevere--or anywhere else we walked in Rome. And, boy did we walk! Had to work off the wine, pasta, and gelato!

4. Re: Safe hotel or B & B for single woman in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 22:17