We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm so frustrated! I'm still trying to talk hubby into my itenerary..but i cant even talk myself into it since im so overwhelmed!

Ok...so our cruise stops in Pisa (livorno) and then to the port near rome.

i was thinking of getting off in Livorno, seeing pisa, and then taking a train to Venice. from venice training it to rome. We have a week, and yes we'll have atleast 2 suitcases (on wheels, and probably large) and 2 carryons. Our vacation is a bit over 3 weeks long (2 of them on a cruise ship).

Is this plan completely doable? Is it to much to think we can see pisa from 9am and get to venice by a decent hour to check into our hotel? Is one full day and night enough time to see what there is too see in Venice? (the only thing i can think of that is a must is a gondola ride...see i told you im a novice.)

I'd also like to see pompeii on this trip. If we give ourselves 4-5 nights in Rome, is it too much to think we could take a side trip to Pompeii in that time frame? Should we bypass Rome from venice and do one night in Naples and do pompeii from there and back track to Rome from Naples?

See i told you i was such an Italian Virgin!

I've been told by family members that 2 nights in rome was plenty...and so was 2 nights in Venice. What do you all think?

Our flight is out of rome, since that would be where we should have gotten off our cruise ship (i was told it was no issue to leave the cruise 1 day early in Livorno).

Some have told me to skip Venice all together and just cruise to Rome and stick around there, but being from Texas i cant imagine being so close to Venice and not going there!

HELP! (oh if i can talk hubby into a good itenerary we'll be cruising and seeing europe next april, 2008)

thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

Personally I would skip Pisa and head straight to Venice - 2 days there or 3 days if you want to go to the island of Burano (where they have the painted houses and lace) or the island of Murano (glass factory). Then head south to Rome for 2 days - that is all you need unless you are a roman history or renaissance history buff. I would then head south to Naples (just pass it by - go the the amalfi coast or the island of Capri) Or, you can do Rome at the end of your trip.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

Hi libbyswin, half the fun is in the planning!

Two days is NOT enough for Rome.

You can do a day trip form Rome to Pompeii, which is great.

Try and resist rushing around so much.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

so for all you experts....

should i start in venice (skip pisa even tho i'll be in livorno?) make my way to rome, do a day trip to pompeii, or skip pompeii and do the ruins near rome instead?

How incredible is pompeii? it sounds like it would be incredible...especially the artifacts. Love that stuff.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

oh and coastal towns are fine, but remember i'll have just gotten off a cruise ship, and will have beach days in spain, portugal and st marteen. :)

French Polynesia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

Rome is a must. You really need a whole week to see everything. Just Vatican City alone needs time! Loved Rome.

Venice is a must. Its a magical medieval place. Transports you to a differnt time. Visions of that place will be implanted in your head, as its like no other place.

Take extra ATM and credit cards, as you may find some ATM machines will not spit out money.

Keep your valuables right in front of you securely. NEVER in a backpack. Men need to even watch out for thier front pockets, because they can get to that too!

DO NOT let your guard off when someone BUMPS into you or DISTRACTS you-- Its then that youre probably being pick- pocketed! BEWARE and have your smarts on FULL TIME! If you do that you won;t have any trouble!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

Pisa in our opinion is defn. worth half a day - even thought you will have seen all the pictures you will not believe that the tower is still standing! If you get off at Livorno where will you be storing your luggage after you leave the cruise ship while you visit Pisa? You really don't want to be dragging all of that around with you. If your cruise ship offers a day excursion I would take this.

While Venice is wonderful perhaps you should give it a miss on this trip as there are many things to see other than do a gondola ride and really a day trip is not enough - save it until that cruise next year!

Rome is fantastic and you could take a trip to the Amalfi Coast (suggest you bypass Naples and stay in Sorrento which is a great base for Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, Capri etc. on day trips). We had 3 nights in Rome and 3 nights in Venice on our trips and felt we had enough time to get a 'feel' of both places. We absolutely love the Amalfi Coast and this seems to be a more doable option from a base in Rome.

Basically, don't try and cram everything in - you will fall in love with Italy and will defn. go back!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

You are on the right track. As you say you don't need another beazch location. You have already seen those on the cruise.

If you ant to see Pisa and are that close. Go! it is wonderful and the church is equally as outstanding as the tower!

Then get to Florence train station and get on the Euro Star and go to Venice. From Venice you can go to Rome on the Euro Star and then take a tour (you hotel can help you with it) to Pompeii.

I am a firm believer in seeing what I want to see and not putting it off until my next trip. Who knows there might not be a next trip?? :)

i would suggest that you fly from Venice to Rome on one of the inner Italian airlines...but, with all that luggage it might provide a big problem!!!! Well, all that luggage is going to be a problem however you look at it. getting all those big cases and carryons on the Euro Star will be difficult.

If the front of the car (where you store luggage) is full then you have to put your cases in the over head racks. It isnt allowed to put it in the asile.

Re think all you are planning to take. Take 1/2 and twice the money!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

Hello,

This is what I would do.

Get off the cruise and see Pisa. Then head on down to Rome. Check into your hotel and see what you can of the city that night. Spend the rest of your time in Rome (2 days is not nearly enough) Take one day to go to Naples to see Pompeii. It is very easy to get to. You just take the high speed train to Naples (one leaves at 7:35 am.) When you get to Naples, go downstairs to the circumvesuviana train station and go to track 4. Get on the train heading towards Sorrento. All the stops are listed above the train doors so just pay attention. It will take about a half hour to get to pompeii. You are looking for the pompeii scavi stop. Spend a few hours in Pompeii then get back on the train towards Naples. At this point, you can go all the way back to the train station or you can make a slight detour and see one of the other cities Vesuvius destroyed- Herculaneum. Herculaneum, in my opinion, in more interesting than pompeii. It is better preserved and very easy to get to. Get off at the Ercolano stop and head down the street (there is only one way to go out of the station). This road is short and then veers to the left. Follow the street down the hill to the mouth of the ruins. It is very easy and only a 10 or 15 minute walk. I have been to Pompeii several times, but always prefer Herculaneum and suggest if you have the time to see both that you do.

Donna

9. Re: Can someone just plan this trip for me!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 03:15