We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
69 reviews
Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

Hello, I have a 8 am flight out of Rome in early February. I have a US passport, will be flying via BA to Heathrow then on to the US. It appears the first Leonardo Express is at 5:35. Would that be early enough for my flight, or should I book a taxi or private transport? I have never been to Rome, so I appreciate your expert advice.

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
86 Reviews
from US$525.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,311 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,199 Reviews
from US$57.30*
8 replies to this topic
alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

You should to be at the airport at 5am or soon after. If you are feeling lucky then 6am. Consider the consequences of missing your flight. The difference in price between a taxi and the LE is not that great considering the trouble you will be in if you miss your flight. If I had an 8 am flight I would opt to spend my last night in nearby Fiumicino.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

Personally, I prefer trains so would opt for the first LE. It's nonstop and a smooth ride whereas a taxi can get caught in traffic and IME the ride can be bumpy depending on the taxi. If you can spring for a private car service then that would be good but still there is the chance of traffic.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

You're dlight is to the UK. 2 hrs before should be enough. It also depends on whether you're checking luggage or not.

Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

I probably will be checking luggage (I won't on the way over, but I will no doubt be bringing home food gifts.)

United States
Level Contributor
322 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

Termini to the airport is only 32-minutes and always on schedule for you would arrive at 6:07. As long as you're certain you can make it to Termini by 5:15-5:20am I would go for it.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,730 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

I don't agree that the Leonardo Express is always on time. I have been on LE trains that have been delayed, although not by a whole lot (maybe 15 minutes at most). The thing is that you never know, and missing a flight is not like missing a bus.

Also, the UK is not in the Schengen area (even before Brexit) so you have to do exit passport checks. It takes longer than an inter-Schengen flight.

I myself would take a taxi, and aim to be at the airport by 5. Even if the taxi gets caught in traffic, that gives you enough cushion. The taxi drivers pretty much know how to avoid traffic snarls, and the morning rush hour is mostly going in the opposite direction.

Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

Thanks, all, for your input! I haven't decided what I'm doing yet but feel much better informed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?

Unless your budget is tight, book a car service. Who want to deal with the station and getting bags on and off at that hour?

Reply to: Leonardo Express in the early morning or nah?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted