We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

My husband and I will be in Rome in late June.

We will have a total of four days in Rome and just a day visit to Venice.

Where should we eat to enjoy the local cuisine, that is non touristy, reasonably price, and so memorable we will dream of coming back to. Looking for breakfast, lunch, and dinner places!

Thank you in advance

6 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,217 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

Anywhere outside the city center in both cities. If you eat near any tourist location you will get tourist food in a tourist setting.

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

Breakfast is often a very light meal in Italy. Usually locals go to a cafe and have a coffee and a pastry. They often do not even sit down. I adapted to this way of doing things and I enjoyed it, but I also found that I had bigger lunches or dinners as a result.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

Following on Donna's reply, I would look for places that are not 'right by' the main attractions, not necessarily outside the city center. For example, rather than eating on the Piazza Navona, I would look for places west of there, along the Via del Govierno Vecchio or, a little farther, around or just north of the Via Bianchi Nuovi. It depends on how one defines the city center.

For breakfast, I don't eat a big one at home, but I try to have something substantial when I know I'll be out and about all day. That could mean having a buffet breakfast at the hotel (if available), or smuggling a sandwich into the room, to have in the morning.

-- Steve

Edited: 18 December 2017, 02:12
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,636 posts
659 reviews
4. Re: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

"If you eat near any tourist location you will get tourist food in a tourist setting."

This, however if you are a tourist then be a tourist as you would be going for the tourist attractions.

Level Contributor
25 posts
5. Re: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

If you want to try the real roman cousine, you need to move a bit from the city center.

You can find very good restaurants in Trastevere and Testaccio (for example, I love this restaurant: https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d802441-Reviews-Lo_Scopettaro-Rome_Lazio.html). I suggest you to try also the Mercato Centrale, located inside the Ala Giolitti of Roma Termini station (it's cheaper than many restaurants and you can try almost everything there). An other must-see place is Eataly at Ostiense/Piramide: it's a bit more expansive than the average, but worth a visit.

In any case, Google Maps is very popular in Italy and there are a lot of reviews from local people. If you are in trouble and you want to find a restaurant in the nearby, just check if the place has a reasonable rating and if it has many reviews in italian.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
729 reviews
6. Re: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?

Here are some resources on all things food and drink Rome: https:/…Info.On.Romes.Dining.Scene.html

There is some good food to be had in the historic center -- but I find it takes some research to find it. Start with the free Maureen Fant pdf, take a look at the blogs such as Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli ... you should definitely be able to find enough restaurants that are convenient, look good to you and are within your budget if you read up a bit.

Reply to: Where to eat in Rome and Venice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted