We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AARGH - You can't plan everything

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
AARGH - You can't plan everything

I have been planning and dreaming about our trip to Rome for months - - It's finally here - - -we leave Saturday.

So imagine my joy in reading today a note from my daughter's school tell me that she may have been exposed to strep throat. This doesn't mean she has it - - or will get it. But just in case, any suggestions on how to get antibiotics in Rome?

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,966 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.40*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,606 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

Santa Susanna is the American church in Rome. They have a very helpful website, full of good tips for Americans visiting Rome. If you click on www.santasusanna.org, and then on "visitor information", you'll find info about where to go if you get sick, plus the name of an American doctor in Rome. I'm sure there are other solutions, but this is one. I hope your daughter doesn't get strep!

philly burbs
Level Contributor
264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

Call your doctor here at home before you go. I am sure he/she will give you an antibiotic prescripion "just in case",given the circumstances. It is worth a try.

los altos...
Level Contributor
471 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

In Italy, one can go to the pharmacist and without a prescription can be given antibiotics.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
333 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

keymom,

We are leaving for Rome on Saturday with our 12 year old son. Our doctor has given me a prescription to fill here so that we have antibiotics with us in Rome for this type of thing...I am sure that if you call, your doctor will help you out!

Have a great time...maybe we'll cross eachother's path!!

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

you'd better get you prescription and the antibiotic before you leave.

The (american) prescription is useless, just to mark the name of an antibiotic that perhaps is not on sale in Italy.

I'd would advise against going in an italian pharmacy simply like that asking for an antibiotic: you should only use it with a prescription issued by your doctor and the italian pharmacist could not be aware precisely of the kind of affliction you daughter could have, and NEVER use the wrong antibiotic... they're not candies. Moreover if you buy like that, you will pay the full and probably steep price of the drug: would you get reimbursed stateside?

Rome
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

You may not get antibiotics without a medical prescription in Italy.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

Call your doctor NOW. Tell hm the situation. Take the meds with you and his directions on when and how to use them.

Hopefully you wont need them. better to be safe than sorry.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

I will agree w/ the other posters suggestions about getting a scrip b4 you leave for Italy. Perhaps you have already done that. I am sure your dr. would give you one in light of the circumstances.

When we visited Rome a year ago my husband had a terrible cold and was very congested, etc. He usually gets this when we fly. He felt awful and we had no antibiotics or cough meds. We went into a pharmacia near our hotel and it was very difficult to explain to the "pharmacist" (if he was one, he was the only one in the store) that we wanted something for a bad cough, congestion. He just handed us a box from the shelf and it was all in Italian! LOL It looked similar to an OTC powder you would purchase here for congestion. He mixed it up w/ water and drank it. Can't say it really helped him, the cough just ran it's course.

Hope you have a great visit to Rome w/ no illnesses allowed. You may not need to worry about her getting strep. You might also pick up some children's airborne tablets and bring them with you. There is nothing in them that would be harmful unless she has any medical issues.

May

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

Keymom and Fortwaynemom--just wanted to wish you both a very safe and a very happy trip. Hope neither of you need to use the meds!! Buon viaggio !!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AARGH - You can't plan everything

The woman's post is a vey good example of carrying with yu a small book of Italian words. Rick Steves has a very good book covering almost all situations where you need to ask a question In Italian.

Rick Steves' ITALIAN Phrase Book and dictionary. It is about 3 by 4 inches (as big as a post card.)

The lady seemed upset that the gentleman in the drug store did not understand her. Well, he was Italian and she was in italy!

Here are a few useful words!

cold medicine medicine per il raffreddore

cough drops sciroppo per la tosse

decongestant decongestionante

antibiotic antiacido

Keep well and enjoy