We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Rome to Venice

Wash DC
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving From Rome to Venice

Is this crazy? Can anyone tell me how long it will really take to drive from Rome to Venice? Checking the maps, it looks like it might take 6 1/2 hour to 8 hours? We have already paid for the rental car and we have the time, therefore, we don't want to splurge on the train or for plane fare. But I would like to know what we are getting into! Thanks for any tips.

u.k.
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

dear

i will wait for the answer as I am also thinking of doing same.b. Also are there any other places to see on way?

San

Mansfield, GA
Level Contributor
465 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

According to viamichelin.com it is 5 hrs and 45 minutes. 544 km (337 miles). You can go to viamichelin.com and it will route you. Whether it is the best way to go I would not know. Maybe one of the local experts could tell you.

Rome
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

Driving Rome to Venice is all motorway (not for free, unfortunately). It is excellent road, but it may get hectic during peak season, on weekends and in certain other periods of the year (e.g. Easter holidays). It is actually about 600 Km from Rome to Venice, which means at least 5 1/2 hour non-stop. I think - which you probably already did - you should take this as an opportunity for seeing a bit of the country as well. Stretch your legs say every two-three hours. You might have a bite at the Montepulciano "Autogrill", about halfway between Rome and Florence; then the motorway will take you close to Arezzo (15 Km, worth a detour), Florence (not advisable for a short visit), then on the Appennines to Bologna, then eastwards through Ferrara (positively worth a detour, about 10 Km from motorway) and then Padua, Mestre and Venice. The only area where you should keep your eyes wide open is close to Bologna, because there are several motorways all merging and you have to be on the lookout for the right signpost. For the rest it should be fun, especially if you take it easy.

venice
Level Contributor
509 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

both you have to be very carefull to drive from rome to venice cause via michelin does not say nothing about traffic !!!!!

for example if you are driving in the weekend you will find so many cars/buses and go on so in the florence area, then on appennini and then int bologna area and have to pray that there's no caos at the end of the route in venice.....

try to think that if you want to go "fast" from south to north between the most important parts of Italy (rome florence/bologna venice milan) there's only that route !!!!

carefull friends !!!

Wash DC
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

I can imagine that traffic jams might be an issue during weekends and holidays. If I plan for alternatives...i.e jumping off of the motorways onto some backroads.. that might be helpful. We do have the whole day...with not timelines.. so we have some flexibility. I will study the maps carefully.

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

I know this post is quite old. Did you end up driving? How did you go?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

Funny - I was thinking the same thing as we will be doing much the same!

How was the drive?

Southwest, USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

I've made this exact drive. It's a nice drive and it only takes about 5 1/2 hours. I drove it in January and didn't have any problems with traffic. Driving in Rome wasn't fun, but it went really well outside of that. You'll also have toll roads.

I'd recommend against renting a tiny economy...not fun on the hills. Also, if you're driving alone, I'd recommend paying for the GPS. Venice is easy, but Rome can be a pain to navigate in my opinion.

Atlanta, GA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

We're considering making the drive from Venice to Rome in early July. Any updated suggestions on must see stops along the way?

Southwest, USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving From Rome to Venice

I was just back in Italy again in March. I'd recommend stopping in Florence for a few days (with a detour to Pisa, if that interests you) and maybe somewhere like Siena on your way down to Rome. I personally prefer Florence to Rome and definitely think it's worth a visit.