We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
14 posts
Save Topic
Thank you

I have been sitting back-taking in all the words of wisdom from y'all and was feeling a little guilty. Thanks so much for posting. It makes planning our first trip to Italy soooo much easier.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you

Prego!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you

You are very welcome ! I hope that you have found answers to all your questions ! never be afraid to post on here--that's what the forum is for! When will you be going and to what part(s) will you be travelling to? I am now planning for my third trip, and every one is as exciting as the first!!! Good luck and enjoy "my" lovely Italy !!!

tennessee
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you

wittyone,

we are leaving in late June. We are doing a 6 night cruise on RCCL and decided to tack on a few days either side in Rome. I have picked up so many great tips through the forum that I started my trip journal already. I have a hotel and now I am working on activities. We are traveling with teenagers so advance preparation is a must. My thought was to present options, prepare a general itinerary and then be willing to go with the flow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you

Hi suju, I am sure you will have a great trip. Don't forget to write a report when you get back. Ciao

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you

How nice. We'll be looking for that trip report!

SR

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you

Suju, travelling with teenagers, your options are endless! I can't imagine a teenager who wouldn't love everything about Rome ! The Coloseum is absolutely amazing to both adults and teenagers. The architecture of all the old buildings, being so different from what we are used to seeing in this country,will astound them. The "buzz" of the city--it is just so alive and such a contrast between the ancient and the modern -they will notice and appreciate it so much.Rome is "cool" or whatever they are saying these days! The food will make them sing a tune. Are they interested in ancient history? Pompeii or Ostia Antica would be wonderful sidetrips. Make sure that they begin to learn some of the background history before you leave, if they haven't already. Are they girls or boys or both? Girls, especially will love to shop a little, I think. I am the exception to that rule !LOL! My favorite part of the whole Italy experience is getting to know and understand the Italian people and their way of life-- just observing their day to day life, and talking to as many of them as I can. And of course the Churches--there are sooooo many---are such an integral part of Italian life and each and everyone is utterly fascinating to me. Of course some of the greatest artists of the world have left their legacies in Italy. You can hardly turn around without witnessing a treasure.

You have 2 1/2 months to immerse yourselves in every available source about Rome. And the wonderful thing is that there is so much available ! Watch the tv guides to see what programs are on--there have been a lot of wonderful programs on the History Channel, the Military Channel, the Travel Channel, sometimes the Food Channel and a couple others. Keep browsing and using the forums--punch in key words into the search box at the top of the page. There are a ton of books that people have recommended and you can get many of them at your library. The internet itself has more than I could ever read in a lifetime! Just google and search!

If you need any more, I would be happy to help you. I am very definitely extremely passionate about Italy. I think it is a wonderful and beautiful and spiritual country. I think everyone should go there at least once--although I warn you that it can lead to a huge addiction and I don't think there is a cure for it!! LOL, I hope you have the trip of a lifetime and remember, even though it can feel overwhelming, planning is almost as much fun as the travelling !!!

tennessee
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank you

Thanks for all your input. I will definately post when we get back. It realIy made a difference in planning. It can be hard enough to plan a trip here in the U. S. I have started a guide book collection. I also have the italian cd in the car. That gave me immediate dork status but I noticed within minutes they were repeating back with the cd. My teens are both girls so sadly shopping is part of the plan. I really hate to shop, but at least I will be doing it in Rome. We have become travel channel addicts. I also never spent much time on the internet, but now seem to be logging as much time as the girls.

We are also working on the excursions while on the cruise. Naples and Santorini. Any advise?

Thanks again.

Suju

sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank you

Hi Suju, I think we are just as excited as you are. First time in Rome for us too. Also with teenagers - boy and girl and we all hate to shop! So plan on staying in the more ancient part of town - Piazza Navona district. Might see you there LOL, as we will be there during July. What Accommodation did you manage to find? Im interested in case we want to change our plans. Like you Im now totally addicted like my children, to the computer and its endless invaluable source of info.

Cheers..........

tennessee
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank you

Gidday,

Very interesting. Plan A was to visit Australia. When we couldn't pull that together we knew we would have to do something amazing. Rome/cruise was the logical choice. We will be there June 26 and leave July 8. I opted for the Alimandi Vaticano for hotel based on trip advisor recommendations. I was more comfortable with a quad room. Now I realize we might have liked being more the middle of things. On the hand, many of the pluses outweigh that.

I know we will have to do the shopping thing. It will be interesting to see my 16 y/o stop shopping long enough to save money for shopping in Rome. The youngest just wants to snorkel in the Med.

Suju

10. Re: Thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 03:17