We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to transport wine

CT
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how to transport wine

Can anyone direct me to a site with the rules for purchasing wine in Italy and bringing it on the plane? Is it possible to purchase it after security at FCO and is it much more expensive there? Can it then be carried on? Can it be bought anyplace else? It seems that if it was checked it could possible freeze and break.

Iv'e checked the TSA site but haven't found the answer.

Thanks so much.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,092 reviews
from US$76.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$412.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,855 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.40*
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to transport wine

You can buy wine at the airport shop and the wine will be put in a sealed bag that you can take on your first flight, The only problem is if you have a connecting flight in the U.S. you will have to go thru security again and they will not let it pass. If you have no connecting flight, it should be no problem. As far as price and selection at the airport that is another matter I have no knowledge of.

I am going to buy some very good quality wine away from the airport and pack them carefully in my checked luggage. I have read good reports on this.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
149 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to transport wine

We were very successful packing wine and olive oil in our checked baggage. I took huge ziplock bags and rolls of bubble wrap to wrap the bottles. We also shipped some from Italy. It was very expensive but we since we only brought one piece of luggage each to have packed anything more in our checked bags would have resulted in an extra expense for being over the weight limit.

Albany NY
Level Contributor
288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to transport wine

I just read something in our local paper about packing wine in a child's floatie and pack it in the suitcase. They are those inflatable things you slip over a childs upper arms to keep them afloat in the water.Interesting idea but it seems it wold be bulky .

Montreal
Level Contributor
174 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to transport wine

Fatjack 1 is right about connecting flights. You will not be able to get through security with it. We have never had a problem packing the wine in our check in luggage. Those wine bottles are pretty strong and can withhold quite a bit. We always wrap them in some clothing and place them in the middle of the suitcase, padding with your clothing all around, underneath , and on top. We always bring back wine and olive oil and have never had breakage.

5. Re: how to transport wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 21:18