We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a scooter? help!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
renting a scooter? help!

I will be going to Rome this June and me and my mom are thinking about renting a scooter! How safe is this? We heard the Rome drivers are really aggressive and we don't want to get run off the road!!

Is the traffic bad all over Rome or are certain neighborhoods less crowded?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a scooter? help!

Do you you know how to ride a scooter very well? If you don't I would not suggest it. Rome is no place to learn because the traffic is definitely high intensity; also, unless you know the streets well, you will be very frustrated with so many one-ways, pedestrian only and parking. Trying to learn both the streets, where to drive and how to drive a scooter is pushing it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a scooter? help!

I looked into renting a scooter while I was in Rome, and they would not rent me one because I didn't have an international driver's license. If you don't have one of those, then you won't be able to get one either. It probably turned out for the better because the streets are so crowded, it just doesn't seem safe to drive there.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a scooter? help!

The days of Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday are long gone. Just stay on your feet or take the metro or the bus.

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a scooter? help!

Kelly.

I have done it and while it can be very scary it is also absolutely a blast. I have owned a Vespa in the US and have driven it in big cities here so I did have experience with big city maniac drivers.

If you have not rented a motor scooter before going to Rome then I would rent one in a big city near your home with your mom and see how comfortable you Both are. It is not for the timid and not for the inexperienced and the traffic and blaring horns in Rome are very intense but if you are prepared (full insurance, enough Italian in case of an emergency, etc) and brave go for it. DKEL

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a scooter? help!

And by the way I did feel like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday. Only chubby and with a helmut on. DKEL

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting a scooter? help!

thanks guys for the info! me and my mom are re-thinking our idea...haha

7. Re: renting a scooter? help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 01:18