We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colosseum Tours - Help!

New City, New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Colosseum Tours - Help!

Can anyone recommend a good guided tour of the Colosseum, that isn't too expensive?

We'd rather do a tour than on our own, especially if it will help with the long lines.

I'm so confused on who to go with - any recommendations? Are we better off waiting and booking when we are in Rome? I'd prefer to book before we go so we have an itinerary, but if we don't, its not really a big deal.

We would like a tour that includes going in to see the Colosseum, not just from the outside.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
houston
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

We had a great time in Rome during Easter.I would highly recommend Angel tours,small groups,lots of info.Used them for the Vatican tour and the Colosseum.the tour guides Abi and Nicky were very good and helpful.Ihad done quite a lot of research prior to going and we were delighted with our choice,try their website for info,cheers

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

How long are the colosseum tours by Angel tours?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

Hi

We did our own Palatine Hill and Colosseum tour. We bought our tickets at the Palatine Hill entrance,with that ticket you also get entrance into the Colosseum and you won't have to stand in line. Palatine Hill is very interesting and had very few tourists when we were there. I think most of the tours have to stand in line to get into the Colosseum, check to make sure. I know when we went many tours were standing and waiting with the regular crowd.

Have fun planning!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

We did a tour of the Vatican with Angel Tours and it was great. They also do the Colosseum. Check out their website: www.angeltoursrome.com

We booked a tour of the Colosseum w/ the Colosseum itself when we bought our admission ticket. While it was inexpensive, we weren't happy with the tour. We had 40 people in our group and frequently got stuck at the back of the line and couldn't hear our guide. Our Angel Tour was with 8 people and they usually only work with small groups. There are many others that offer good tours also. Our tour was approx. 1 1/2 hrs. in length so I would think the other tours would be comparable for time.

You should book your tour b4 you get to Rome. You will know that you already have it booked and feel less stressed doing it this way.

The tours do go "inside" the Colosseum. Seeing the Colosseum is so awe-inspiring. You will love it. They have lots of vendors outside selling souvenirs and a gift shop on the 2nd floor of the Colosseum also.

NYC
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

We were also there during Easter week, and we took the tour offered by the Colosseum. When you get in the line, you first pass thru metal detectors, no big deal. After that there is a line to buy admission to the Colosseum, this was long. We already had our tickets from Palentine Hill, so we could have skipped this entirely, but if you walk past this line, you come to the group tour window. Show your ticked and purchase the tickets for the tour. If you don't show them your previously purchased Palentine Hill ticket they will charge you admission also. I think I paid less than 15euros for the four of us.

They then tell you when the next tour is, and you enter through the turnstyle and stand in an area marked tours.we waited about 15 mins, no biggie as we walked inside and took a few pics.

At the proper time, our guide arrived and had everyone showed their timestamped ticket /sticker and received a small 2 way radio. She double checked that they all worked and we could hear her and off we went. The tour was very informative and since we were all in radio range, you could be 15-20 feet away and not miss anything.

I don't know what the more expensive tour groups offered that we didn't get out of the convenient, inexpensive and thorough tour offered by the Colosseum.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

Ruth, at Angel Tours, has quoted my daughter & me a price of 65€ per person for a private tour of the Colosseum, Fourm, Palatine Hill (ancient Rome area); length of tour 3 to 4 hours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

BradnJen,

We did the identical Colosseum tour as I noted in my earlier post and followed the same procedure as you did. We arrived at 8:45 am and there was no one in line so we walked right in and purchased our tickets. However, we did not receive the 2 way radios that you did so it was very difficult to hear our guide. Her English was not that clear. Sounds like you had a better tour than we did. We had headsets for our St. Peter's Basilica tour w/ the Angel Tours and it was wonderful to be able to hear everything the guide said.

Perhaps the Colosseum tours now offer the radios but I guess one should ask before they purchase the tour tickets if headsets are included. It would have made for such a nicer tour. Thanks for the info.

May

Brit in Costa...
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

We were also there over easter with 2 teens. I had booked the tour with the coloseum official website. We got the head sets but all felt it was not worth the time spent waiting for the start and money.( cheap, around €5 each I think) With a good guide book and general knowledge its pretty self explanatory. Just buy your tickets from palatine hill and bypass the lines.

(The only tour the kids liked was largo agentina from the cat sanctuary people at 4 pm each day)

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

We did the "ancient Rome" tour with Angel Tours over Holy Week. It starts at 9:00 am at the metro station. First is the forum area then the Colosseum. I can't imagine trying to interpret the forum without a guide. We had 8 people on the tour and were done by 12:30. My kids (10 and 13) found it interesting. They had seen Gladiator before the trip.

One note - I didn't get Roma passes because the Angel Tour website says they have the tickets for you. That wasn't the case - we bought them when we got there. (Which was not a big deal at all.) If you are thinking about the Roma Pass, you should communciate this to Angel tours but I think that would work out fine.

MIchigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Colosseum Tours - Help!

You can pick-up a tour right outside the coloseum for about 10 euro's and it will include the hill tour also. we did that in september and it was wonderful. It also bypasses the long line to go inside.