We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Scam artists!!!

Level Contributor
25 posts
African Scam artists!!!
Save

Hey what is the time? Are you from Africa? Shake my hand!! Nice shoes!! Where are you from? This is what these scam artists ask you!! These guys are at all the major tourist locations and are ready to take advantage of you, stay away!! I said no not interested and the guy stalked me and harassed my fiance and I because we simply said no!! This nearly ruined our trip.. They work in a pack and they are easy to identify.. They are dressed in African clothing and are from some place in Africa and they will aggressively approach you and want to shake your hand.. Walk away and avoid them at all costs.. These guys will want to take advantage of you. Most likely, any cash you give them goes into criminal activity.

Oregon
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
11. Re: African Scam artists!!!
Save

Oh my. I am a very white woman from Oregon and, when in Rome, was asked "are you from Africa?" It was funny. I laughed. No one harassed me but I did buy a laser pointer from a street vendor for my cat. He has no interest in it but I like it :)

Chingford, United...
Level Contributor
863 posts
140 reviews
77 helpful votes
12. Re: African Scam artists!!!
Save

If it’s your first experience of dealing with these "pests" then it can be rather intimidating, and if you find them everywhere you go in a particular city then yes, it could spoil your enjoyment. They are persistent and seem to know who to target best, once they see that someone is uncomfortable or unsure then the claws are in, so to speak.

Unfortunately they are everywhere, in Paris by many of the main sights, in Barcelona, Madrid etc. and seemingly in Rome. The only way we’ve found to deal with them is a polite but forceful “no thank you”, preferably in the local language and to keep walking as if they just aren’t there.

Having said that, hubby bought a really nice belt from one in Seville and I now want one of these laser pointers you’ve all bought :)

Bring back the days of the comparably harmless gypsy heather sellers we used to get in Palma, Mallorca who used to give my cousin the heebie-jeebies and send him running for the hills leaving me in fits of laughter ..... they were much more fun :)

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.