We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature in Rome in mid May?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature in Rome in mid May?

My husband and I are at the "deciding what to pack "stage for our upcoming holiday.

Can anyone please tell us what the temperature/weather is like in mid May in Rome?

Thanks in advance

tropicgirl39

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

It was mid 70's in mid April and got cooler in the evenings. I would suggest packing for layers, remebering that you cannot have bare shoulders or shorts in most churches. The evenings are cool, so you'll want to have a light covering. I did see capri's all though most posters will say don't wear them. (Even European men wore them!)

I did not see t-shirts, everything was a sport/polo style. Ladies were fashionable-cute tops etc...I did see plenty of jeans-locals and visitors, but always dark blue. Comfortable shoes are a must, the streets are coblestone and uneven and you will walk a lot! Lots of skirts on ladies, since that's a trend here too-I'd say its a good way to be cool and comfortable.

Good luck-you'll love it!

Veggie

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

The temp will be somewhere around 25C-to 28C and Rome can get humid too, but by late afternoon a bit of a breeze can sweep through so a light wrap/pashmina or a cardigan should be fine. It's already been hovering just below that mark at 23C-25C in recent days. A pair of soft leather-soled or adidas trainer-style shoes mould perfectly to the cobble-stoned streets too - any shoes which are heavy or clunky on your feet you will find you will have aching and throbbing ankles and calves come nightfall! Heels or stilettos should go hand in hand for glamming it up Italian-style after dusk, but it is extremely difficult with the stone-work everywhere and I found I was tip-toeing everywhere - not a good look! Unfortunately there are no flat George or Collins St pavements in Roma!! But watch the locals navigate, they do it with such ease it defies logic. Buon viaggio!

PS - Check this weather web link site from Italian newspaper, Corriere della Sera: http://www.corriere.it/meteo/

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

We experienced hot temps when we've been to Rome in May. The first time we were there we were told the temps were 32-34 and very humid. We found it a bit stifling - I even had heat exhaustion. However, the subsequent times were very warm but very manageable.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

We were there 7-12 April this year and the weather was very hot, not a cloud in the sky for the whole time. We didnt need jackets at all, just a jumper for going out in the evenings.

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

Good question. I will be going in late may early june. I have checked weatherchanel.com and I think the other one is weatherunderground.com. Most say lower to mid 80's. I am used to hot and humid so I'm not worried. I know that whatever I wear I will look like a tourist. I'm just wearing my normal summer clothes.

Hope you have a great trip.

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

Back from Rome yesterday... weather is already a warm 23 degrees. Suggest you wear light colours and cotton to keep cool. Only needed to take a light wrap/jacket/sweater in the evening, and could really have managed without that, just long sleeves. Locals say they have not seen a winter this year. We even ate our breakfast outside on the hotel roof terrace, plenty warm enough if it is in the sun.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

It's pretty warm already approximately 20C or 70F. So May should be even warmer. We visited in June 2001 and it was over 27C.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

Mi fiance and I were in Rome between May 21 through May 28th and it was hot and humid. The nights were kind of cool..... a light sweeter should do the trick to keep you warm. Have fun and enjoy you stay in Rome.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

Hi

You can find weather stats on www.weatherbase.com :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperature in Rome in mid May?

I was in Rome in May 2006 for one week and it was about 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit (or 26 celsius), clear and sunny, every single day--way too warm to wear a jacket or even jeans. I wore lightweight black pants to St. Peter's, and that was the most covered up I was the whole time. Otherwise I wore skirts, Bermuda shorts, summer dresses, etc. Even at night it was pretty warm, but I guess to be safe you should bring at least one pair of long pants and a jacket or sweaters to layer with. Comfy shoes are a must. I'm a big fan of pretty high heeled shoes, but there's just no way to walk around the cobbled city in them. I think I saw one woman in heels the entire time I was there.