We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Roman Cuisine

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Roman Cuisine

Everyone asks about best restaurants, but what are the best Roman dishes to try? If you think that tripe is tasty or oxtail is oppetizing :-) ... let me know!!

Levittown, NY
Level Contributor
363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

I know Rome is noted for artichokes and unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to try them when I was there in March and another was gnocci on Thursday night......but I did have very good linguini carbonara and a spinach stuffed ravioli that was like butter melting in your mouth.

Stasz

Paris
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

try the pasta:

- bucatini ala matrichana

- spaghetti ala carbonara

Arkansas
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

The Caprese Salads are fantastic. These are served as an appetizer and are sliced tomatoes, sliced, fresh mozzarella, and basil, drizzled with balsamic vinager. I basically survived on these during my summer in Europe! Just talking about them is making me hungry!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

Gnocchi alla Romana

Pasta-cacio e pepe

Artichokes

Zucchini flowers

Not neccesarily Roman but I absolutely fell in love with prosciutto and melon for an appetizer.

Pizza bianco

Well, I could give you a whole long list but these are my favorites for now!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

ummm... what's for lunch!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

Someone please explain zucchini flowers to me. This sounds odd. I know there are edible flowers but is that really what this is?

UK
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

Yes flowers of the zucchini (courgette) are delicious either deep fried in a light batter (fiori di zucchini fritti) or stuffed with ricotta cheese, egg ,parmesan and herbs and then lightly fried in batter (fiori di zucchini ripieni).

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

Baccala( salt cod), fried with beans.!

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

The classic Roman recipe for Fiori di Zucca is: delicately wash the flower, take off the "pin" leaves, (I take off also the pistil, but it is edible),. Fill the flower with an anchovy (under olive oil) and a small piece of mozzarella. Pass it in a "Pastella" ....flour, a pinch of salt and water. Now I mix beer and flour. Fry in olive oil.

That's it.

Anyway I went finally to eat at Giggetto and I tasted again after years the "Vignarola": peas, artichokes and fava cooked with oil, onions and bacon.........WOW!!

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Roman Cuisine

Ciao Cinzia,

You're making me hungary!

If you read this post, do you remember the name of the restaurant Joanne and I had lunch the day we met up with you and Daniela afterwards?

Hope all is well,

Kathy