We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
352 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

To visit the Santa Maria Maggiore, what are its cost and hours?

I tried to google it but different sites gave me different answers.

Alaska
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

Santa Maria is an active Roman Catholic church. The Catholic Church does not charge a fee to enter its churches. In some instances there is a nominal fee to visit certain parts of a building, i.e. to see the gold alter cloth at St Mark's in Rome. You may consider leaving a small donation - there are offertories in all of the churches.

I was just at Santa Maria Maggiore and don't recall exactly what the hours were, but I imagine they are something standard like 9 am to 7pm. You will not want to interrupt any services, so I wouldn't plan on Sunday if I were you.

Remember that you will be expected to dress conservatively (more so than when entering a Catholic church in the US) and there are sometimes restrictions on photography and especially flash photography. Remember, you're in church.

-beadgame

Alaska
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

Santa Maria is an active Roman Catholic church. The Catholic Church does not charge a fee to enter its churches. In some instances there is a nominal fee to visit certain parts of a building, i.e. to see the gold alter cloth at St Mark's in Venice. You may consider leaving a small donation - there are offertories in all of the churches.

I was just at Santa Maria Maggiore and don't recall exactly what the hours were, but I imagine they are something standard like 9 am to 7pm. You will not want to interrupt any services, so I wouldn't plan on Sunday if I were you.

Remember that you will be expected to dress conservatively (more so than when entering a Catholic church in the US) and there are sometimes restrictions on photography and especially flash photography. Remember, you're in church.

-beadgame

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

According to Rick Steves the church is open from 7am-7pm daily.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

I stayed directly opposite this church in March and there was a mass at 7am each morning of our stay. No cost to enter

Jess

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

Admission to the church is free, however they do appreciate donations--put your money in the box near the door marked 'per la fabrica' ( for the fabric) as it goes to the conservation and restoration of the building.

It's open 9-7.

Idaho
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

We stayed at the Mecenate Palace directly across from Santa Maria Maggiore, and our fifth floor window opened right at the front of the square We hung out that window both morning and evening watching the people and the traffic. It was wonderful. It opened each morning at 7AM and closed at 7PM, and many groups of people came and went. Yes, there was Mass each morning in one of the side chapels, which we were privileged to witness. Glad you are interested. I think not many people take the time to go there, and they miss the incredible mosaic work inside.

7. Re: Santa Maria Maggiore cost and hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 22:19