We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report-Spring Break#1

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report-Spring Break#1

Since I've been traveling so much the last few years, and remodeling my home, I keep putting off my trip reports, because I spend so much time thinking about how I want to word them. I made myself promise that I would do one for this trip so here is the beginning.

I'll break them up into Spring Break#1, #2, etc. so the page won't be so long.

Our trip was March 22-April 4, 2007.

A little background first. This trip was for my daughter's senior year Spring Break. We have never done anything special for Spring Break and since she is my last at home, I had told her a year ago that we would go wherever she wanted. When we started planning this a year ago, she wanted to go to Cancun, since she would be 18 by then. Well, several months into the planning stage, she decided that she didn't want to go to Cancun because she doesn't really drink and doesn't like to be around a bunch of drunk people. Okay, back to the drawing board. Next thought was Amsterdam, since the last time she was there she was only 15 and wasn't allowed to be on the property of the Coffeeshops. So she wanted to go back and be there legally. It was just something she felt she had to do. After discussing this for a few months, we both felt there really wasn't enough to do around the area to keep our interest for a full week, so we started looking for places to add on to our time in Amsterdam.

One day we were having lunch and out of the blue, she asked how far Rome was from Amsterdam. When I told her only a few hours by plane, I could see the wheels start turning, and believe me, she didn't have to twist my arm at all. I just couldn't believe that this was where she wanted to go for "her" Spring Break. How could I get so lucky?

My husband and I had taken her to Italy last summer for her first trip there (although she has traveled to Europe almost every year since she was 6) and it was our second time. We had immediately fallen in love with the country, especially Rome. But when we took her, she didn't show much enthusiasm and there were a lot of tears on that trip. My husband swore he'd never travel with her again.

I was shocked that this is where she picked but, hey, I'll give anyone a second chance if it involves going back to Rome.

She also told me that if read her journal (never going to happen) from last year's trip, I would see that see really did love it.

So, we started the planning of Mom and Darling Daughter's (DD from now on) first ever trip by ourselves. Our whole family, and I mean everyone, was extremely worried about us taking this trip, because not many mothers and daughters of this age get along for more than 2 minutes, let alone 2 weeks, and her and I have had some Doozies! We are completely different personalities, I'm a hot-tempered loud-mouth and she's a tight-lipped sulker. Oil and water.

Everyone worried needlessly. I would do it all over again tomorrow!

We decided that we would still go to Amsterdam for a few days, so she could do her Coffeeshop part and we really wanted to go back there, then fly down to Rome for a week, then go to Sorrento for a few days before heading back home. Of course, this meant that she would have to take off of school longer than the one week break, but what the heck? We were going back to ROME!

The trip started out bad, due to the fact that we traveled on United Airlines. They seem to have a big problem leaving and getting anywhere on time, and I mean by several hours, with no apparent reason. This happened coming and going. I seriously doubt that I'll ever fly with them again. They lost DD's luggage going over. Can you imagine a hip 18 year girl arriving in Europe with no clothes or shoes. We lost our first day in Amsterdam and she didn't get her luggage until the end of day two. Lots and lots of tears from both of us. Many times we thought about giving it up, turning around and coming back home.

But we both kept telling each other it would get better, it had to, and in a few days we'd be in Rome and all would be well. And so it was.

I'll try to get to day 1 (Spring Break#2) in Rome later tonight. Right now we gotta go shopping for graduation dresses.

Later, Helen

1. Re: Trip Report-Spring Break#1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2007, 04:40
coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report-Spring Break#1

Helen, so far so good!! Ahhh, teenagers!!! And airlines!!! We have never had the bad experience of lost luggage(knock on wood) but I certainly do sympathize with those that do !! That is definitely one reason why I make sure to mix up all our clothes so that we each have something to wear in every suitcase. Hopefully, if the airline ever loses our luggage, we will at least get one suitcase to tide us over!! Of course, I could complain about the abuse that my luggage gets when being loaded and unloaded off the plane! I think I should start my own company and sell disposable luggage!!

OK, hurry and fill us in on Rome !!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report-Spring Break#1

Helen, keep the days coming. I am going to Italy for 8 days in July with my 17 year old daughter. I am leaving hubby and two smaller children at home. We have a hotel in Rome but will be making a trip to Venice (overnight) and Florence (overnight). Did you happen to do the Pompeii trip? I would love to read about your adventure.

4. Re: Trip Report-Spring Break#1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 23:16