We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

Bethesda
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

We are about to rent an apartment in Rome.

My husband is concerned about our luggage staying behind in apartment that has changed hands and keys x times.

Does anybody have experience?

1. Re: Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2005, 16:24
Morganton, Georgia
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

We've rented apartments in Rome and have never had a problem with anyone entering our apartment. The only things that we usually leave behind when we're gone for the day are clothes anyway so if someone wants to steal those, we'd probably have a good laugh and go back out and do some shopping!

Bethesda
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

Thanks Daniela, we just learned so much about pick pocketing in Rome. I usually don't take my passport and all the money around town ANY PLACE exactly for this reason.

So where do you leave it other than your luggage.

I don't expect that apts have a safe.

I would not laugh if they took my clothes too since I spend a lot

of time finding and fitting them :-)

Morganton, Georgia
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

My husband and I carry our passports with us rather than leaving them anywhere. They're tucked away safely where a pick pocket couldn't get at them even though we've also never had a problem with pick pockets. We just don't travel with valuables other than a few pieces of jewelry that I never take off.

As far as the clothes go, we too spend a fair amount of money on our clothes, but I guess what I was trying to say, is that if in the off chance that someone actually got into our apartment and stole our clothes, we wouldn't let it ruin our trip. It's highly unlikely that that's going to happen so don't spend too much time worrying about it. Enjoy your trip!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

We recently spent 3 weeks all over Italy in 4 different apartments. I guess that I didn't give much thought to theft, but we never really left anything of value in our apartment other than our clothes. We had our money and passports with us at all times. With ATM's so readily available, we never had all that much cash on us at any one time, and we certainly never left any in the apartment while we were gone. We kept our passports on our person in a spot that would be difficult for pickpockets to reach - inside pockets. The apartment that we rented in Venice actually did have a safe for our use, but we did not use it.

We certainly would have missed our items of clothing, if they would have been stolen. But, nothing we took with us to Italy was irreplaceable. I also did not take any valuable jewelry that was not worn by me on a daily basis.

You can spend your time worrying needlessly about many things - some of which you can control and some which you cannot. I guess I would be cautious, but not paranoid. Please don't let fears about the "what if's" taint your trip.

Bethesda
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment Rentals - how safe are your belongings?

Thanks Mom and Daniela, you are absolutely correct.

We are just trying to figure out the best and safest way to have fun. Once we know what wer'e getting into, there is no stopping. It is just so interesting to hear people's stories and we always learn from that. Each city is different and has different dynamics.