We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On help

Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Carry On help

I've got probably a stupid question. We're going to Rome and on to Florence and Lucca in June. We're traveling with 2 of us, my wife and I, and are traveling by train within Italy. We're trying to make the trip with 2 carry-ons and no checked baggage. We're flying on British Airways from the US, so we're allowed only 1 carry-on each. The dimensions they list are 22X18X10 in. bags. So, here is my potentially dumb question. How do they measure those? Does it include the wheels, handle, etc.? We want to try and get as big a bag as we can and yet still carry it on. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. We do have the air tight bags which will be a help, and we're limiting what we bring, but still will be incredibly tight. I can't seem to find out info. on how they measure on BA's sight. Thanks.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry On help

Sorry I can't give any insights on HOW they measure. But I can tell you from previous experience that I believe if the bag looks large, they'll also weight it. I think that might vary from airline to airline. But on a recent flight, I saw a lady w/ a rather larger looking carry on bag and the airline made her check it after weighing it for a weight restriction.

Your best best is to call the airline directly and ask them personally. Then you won't have to worry about misinformation.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry On help

Yes the measurements must include the wheels and handles and all 'appendages', meaning any pockets.

If they have doubts about the bag size they will ask you to put it into their size gauge, this is more likely on the return leg than the outbound from the US.

Since you are using trains you will be truly happy that you took such small bags; trains have high steps and narrow corridors.

South Shore, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry On help

We just went to Venice, Florence, and Rome with carry-ons. Just pack the basics. We did laundry in Florence, great clean laundromats. At some security checks your bag has to fit into the scan machine. The opening where you insert your bag is the measuring device. Put your liquids in a quart ziploc bag and remove them from the luggage and scan separate with your personal belongings.

Carry-ons are a must for train travel. We were thankful we did it every time we saw someone struggling with large bags.- Have fun.

canada
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry On help

My understanding of the allowance: 10 Kg gross weight, 55 cmx 40 cm x 23 cm. i.e. 22 lbs in 22"x16"x9"(external dimensions).

This is narrower than a garment bag which is typically 24" wide.

Do not stuff it to become spherical, it will be rejected if it cannot pass through the screening. To start with, buy the lightest case you can find. Since it is a carryon, you will be handling it yourself, durability shouldn't be a problem. Read again to see if they still allow camera, handbag and coats (for pockets) in addition.

Look at the bright side, we managed with these for 4 weeks in Europe last year. In the carryon we squeezed 2 small backpacks. One carried medications and toileteries, the other electricals. We took these out once settled in the plane. Of course we did laundry every 3rd day.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry On help

You might also consider layering and wearing a few items to get on the plane, then peeling them off and stuffing them into a small bag. If you take a jacket, remember to stuff the pockets and the sleeves too. On an earlier trip to Italy & France, my checked baggage got caught up in a CDG baggage strike and never made it. I managed to do 2 wks just with a carry-on, though I did buy a few things while I was there. I swore I was not going to check bags on the way back, hence my "Michelin Man" look as I boarded.

What part of MI are you from? We have a house in Paw Paw.

BB

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,546 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry On help

Yes they measure the handles and wheels etc. Also note that some airlines class a lady's purse/handbag as one item, and it has to be put in the carry on bag. This may just apply to travel inout of U.K which shouldn't affect you, but it is worth checking out with BA. They can measure your bags against a template, and they can and sometimes weigh it, if they have given you a limit. sometimes I think they make it up as they go along; its so confusing.

Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry On help

Thank you everyone! We're committed to making it with our carryons only. We'll pack a small backpack inside. Did I read correctly that we could keep our camera out of the carryon bags?? We're not even planning on bringing coats, but I did think about wearing 5 pairs of boxers on the way over :-). Boating buddy, we're from Muskegon. We have good friends that live in Paw Paw. Small world, huh?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,546 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry On help

Check whether the camera has to go in the carry on bag. It varies from airline to airline, and BA is British, and the whole problem about carry on restrictions started with the UK.

9. Re: Carry On help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 04:16