We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to sicily

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
605 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to sicily

Iam travelling from rome to sicily. What is the best transportation to it. Hom namy hours it takes ti reach over there. Any attractions in the way worth to see.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to sicily

The best way to go from Rome to Sicily is to fly. Windjet offers good fares.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
878 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to sicily

Nicholas Inn is correct, but make sure to reserve a few weeks in advance. Our daughter lives in Rome and is flying into Palermo this Thursday and back to Rome from Catania next Monday. If she had made the reservation a month ago, she could have done this for about 110 euro RT. Now, it is costing her (US!) about 145 euro. Lots of flights on Windjet and all nonstop to Palermo or Catania.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to sicily

No question that the quickest way would be to fly, but you mention attractions on the way.

Naples and the surroundings - Pompeii and Capri - would be worth a few days of your time if you can manage it.

Train from Rome to Naples would take about 2 hours. From Naples to Palermo you could travel by train either in the daytime (about 8 hours I think) or overnight (about 10 hours). Guessing here but the total cost by train from Rome would be about 80 Euros, plus the cost of a couchette or whatever on one of the night trains if you wanted one.

There is also an overnight ferry from Naples to Palermo with a wide range of fares depending on what accommodation you opt for. Again about 10 hours I think and maybe as low as 25 Euros or less if you sit all night up to perhaps 75 Euros in an outside cabin. But check those prices because it's been a couple of years since I investigated that option.

Of course you could go to Naples and then return to Rome and fly to Palermo.

Buon viaggio!