We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gasoline Prices and rental cars

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth MA
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Topic
Gasoline Prices and rental cars

Hi Everyone,

We will be renting a car when we are there in August and we will be doing quite a bit of driving - starting in Rome driving to Malcesine at Lake Garda, then on to Stresa at Lake Maggiore and then to Milan where we will fly home. We plan to do some touring through the Dolomites and to Matterhorn or Valle d'Aosta. As I an seeing the gasoline prices rise quickly here in the States, I am reminded that they are still NOT as expensive as they were in Italy 10 years ago.

So my first (and forgive - long winded :) ) question is - What is the price of Gasoline?

I am also interested to find out if it is cheaper to rent a car here in the US through AAA with Avis or Hetz, etc. or if it would be less expensive to rent a car in Rome when we arrive. We are flying into Milan and taking the train to Rome so I would not want to pick my car up until the evening before we leave Rome for the Lakes.

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
116 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gasoline Prices and rental cars

I am leaving next week and am starting in Rome, moving on to Sorrento then back to Rome where we are enting a car. Inall my research the cheapest way I found to rent a car was here in the US.

We will also be doing a lot of driving but I have not looed at the gas prices. I am sure they are moving up just like ours. Hope you have a good trip!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gasoline Prices and rental cars

Gas costs rather more than 1 Euro a litre, but a great website to calculate typical European motoring costs (and routes and journey times) is www.viamichelin.com. Crudely, I reckon on about 10-15 Euros per 100 miles travelled; less for a small or diesel engine.

And I don't know about EU-v-US hire costs but a small car in Italy with Hertz (who we use all the time as they are reliable and have a tie in with Ryanair- the cheap airline) costs about 150-200 Euros per week.

To get an idea, why not do some sneaky comparison? log on to an 'Engish' version of an international site like www.hertz.co.uk, or use their car hire link on the www.ryanair.com site and pretend to be anything but American ( it worked for William Lederer and Eugene Burdick- literary reference- Google it if mystified). Or just ring em up on their Dublin call centre for Europe- Hertz are aching to discount- even for something like having a mastercard.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gasoline Prices and rental cars

To answer your question and translate it into American terms.

Gas cost $6.00 USD a gallon.be sure you buy all the insurance when you rent the car.

also get a book (Rick Steves) and learn the names of the parts of the car,and learn the Italian words for "One Way" as an example.

Also learn all the road signs..

Be sure you have personal accident insurance in case you have to go to the hospital.

I do not mean to be doom and gloom. accidents happen often in Italy. Italians are good but very fast and very aggressive drivers.

Plymouth MA
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gasoline Prices and rental cars

Somehow I suspected that! and here in the states we are complaining about it rising above $3.00 per gallon! Hopefully, the cars in Italy get better gas mileage!

I know about driving in Italy! My husband insisted he could drive in Rome the first time we went 10 years ago. He based his assumption on the fact that he had no problems driving in New York City (with the city cabbies, and all) but he was quite surprised that the NYC cabbies were no match for even the scooters or pedistrians in Rome!

I had driven before in Italy and tried to tell him it would not be as easy as he thought, but I ask you all, when do husbands listen to wives? Especially where driving is concerned!

It was so bad that even my daughter who was 6 at the time said "Dad - let Mom drive!" and so he did. I found other cities to not be as difficult. Ahh....well...Torino is pretty crazy too! I haven't driven yet in Milan but will do so this trip. We are prepared this time!

Thanks!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
695 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gasoline Prices and rental cars

Try to get a car that takes diesel instead of gasoline. Diesel engines always get better mileage and the price is cheaper per gallon. We found the diesel cars/vans we've rented run better than most gas powered ones so performance was not an issue. We've rented from autoeurope.com and they usually have good prices. This year we booked directly with Thrifty.com. Remember that in Italy your credit card company won't offer extra insurance for using the card but we've never had a problem so paying that extra 19-25Euro/day for insurance may or may not be worth it to you. We got it when we went to Sicily but won't when we return.

We drove in Milan and it was no worse than Rome so you'll probably be fine. We have learned to get out the map and have a police officer highlight the route so that we know which streets are one way or closed. The staff at the hotel can do the same, if you're going from the hotel to somewhere local.

6. Re: Gasoline Prices and rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 14:19