We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in/near Rome

Long Island, NY
8 posts
Save Topic
Beaches in/near Rome

Are there any beaches in or around Rome that are nice to go to? I have almost 2 full days on my own in Rome before I meet up with my tour group. I would like one to walk around and see the city and maybe the other day I would like to go to the beach for a while. Can someone tell me how the beaches are, how close they are to Rome and if they are easy to get to?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,833 Reviews
US$74 per adult
Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
31 Reviews
US$374 per adult
US$534
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,015 Reviews
US$59 per adult
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in/near Rome

There are three beaches close to Rome. The nearest is Ostia by train about 35 minutes. Timetables and information available in English on:

http://www.metroroma.it/MetroRoma/HTML/EN/Servizi/Muoversi+a+Roma/RomaLido.htm

In the area there is the beach, ruins and restaurants to enjoy.

This site has good info on Ostia Antica (ruins) and Ostia Lido (beach).

www.italyheaven.co.uk/rome/ostiaantica.html

The second and third beaches are Anzio & Nettuno.

From Roma Termini a train can be taken to the towns of Anzio or Nettuno (about 2km apart), about 45-50 minutes. Timetables etc available on this website also pages in English

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Nettuno is best to go around on foot. The main part of Nettuno is based around the esplanade & the old part of Nettuno, called "Il borgo". This is the main area for bars, restaurants & some of the best pizzas can be eaten here. Alot of these overlook the port area of Nettuno. The esplanade and the marina areas are very popular to take a walk a night with lots of activities & live music in some places (can give more specifics if you need them). We're not sure if you are familiar with beaches in Italy but thought to mention that you will be charged ot use the sunchairs & umbrellas & some parts of each beach are free for the public to use (small areas!!). A good beach in Anzio is called Grotte di Nerone (one of the 7 Roman Emperors) and in Nettuno "Spiaggia le Sirene".

For pictures of these two towns:

This website has photos of Nettuno area..English language option is on the bottom left

paesionline.it/nettuno/foto_immagini_nettuno…

And this one Anzio

paesionline.it/anzio/foto_immagini_anzio.asp

All three are easy to get to. Ostia would be the largest in size and has many establishments to choose from. Anzio/Nettuno beaches are close walk from the train station, the town is more compact in Nettuno as it is the smallest one. If you are on your own would recommend Nettuno.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
654 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ostia Antica
Ostia Antica
Province of Rome, Italy
Anzio
Anzio
Province of Rome, Italy
Nettuno
Nettuno
Province of Rome, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Le Grotte
Le Grotte
779 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ristorante Nerone
Ristorante Nerone
547 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Brno, Czech Republic
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in/near Rome

describes good the topic!

enjoyrome.com/tourist/cityguide/daytrips.html

roma
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in/near Rome

Soure Ostia is the best ... it's easy to arrive. and there's the roma rowns.

4. Re: Beaches in/near Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 22:19