We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Are All The Cats?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where Are All The Cats?

Just come back from Rome and a friend of mine asked me did I see all the cats around the Colosseuem?

I didn't see any. In fact I didn't see a single cat in the centre of Rome anywhere. He wouldn't believe me that I didn't see any.

Where have they all gone? Have they cleared em all out? Hired a 'Pied Piper' perhaps!

Is this just another hyped up story like the pickpockets, ferrel gypsy kids, over crowded public transport etc ?

Manchester.
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

It's unusual then not to see any cats in Rome. They are usually all over the ruins, especially the forum & the colosseum. There is in fact a cats sanctuary in the Largo Argentina. Rome just would not be the same without its cats just as the ruins of Pompeii & Herculaneum would not be the same without their dogs. If the cats of Rome are not stretched out sunning themselves then you can usually spot them peeping from little holes ( burrows) in the shade amongst the many ruins. Better luck next time then. Cheers.

australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

we saw heaps of cats at the collosseuem! you must have just gone on an 'off day' :) Next time i am there i want to visit the cat sanctuary which i didn't know about before my last trip. www.romancats.com

j

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

Must admit didn't see one anywhere, especially in the Forum or Colosseum. Maybe it was just TOO hot for even them.

After all it was about 30 in the shade!

Manchester.
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

Ha ha well cats aren't as daft as us are they.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

I think the city has been trying to relocate many of the cats to the sancutary at Torre Argentina. I notice far fewer cats on the street compared to the 1990s. We always see them running across the tile roofs of the apartments we've rented. They're more active in cooler parts of the day.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

Hmmm...good point. I didn't see any either at the Colloseum or Forum or anywhere for that matter....and a few days it was cool out. I just saw a lot of people walking dogs as we watched where we stepped...No leash laws in Rome? :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

the two big sanctuaries are in Torre Argentina and Piramide, but there are cats also at the forum (especially foro d'Augusto and Traiano) they just don't come out if it's too hot.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

If it was 30*C then all the cats--unlike all the tourists--were probably staying out of the sun keeping cool!!

9. Re: Where Are All The Cats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 15:21