We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

We are a couple in our mid 60's, planning on spending a month in Rome. We will be staying a month and don 't plan to have a car.

What is the best area to rent an apartment. An area that is near sites or transportation and is resonable.

We are staying a month so we can soak in the culture or Rome along with the sites.

I have looked on line at apartments both on Craig.s list and other sites but have difficulty placing the area where the apartment is located.

How safe is Craig's list?

Cloonlough

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

On my opinion the best area is Trastevere or Prati; I live in Prati, it's close to Vatican /10 minutes to walk/ very safe area and well connected to the city center.

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Definitely Trastevere.

Rome
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Renting an apartment in Trastevere is great choice. You are within walking distance to most major sites. Alternatively, you are closely connected to downtown, via tram or buses. I came across this blog the other day, and there is an American woman living in Rome with her Italian husband. They rent out apartments in Trastevere.

Here is the web site:

http://www.reallyrome.com/index.html

Secondly, my mother came to visit me here in Rome, and I found her an apartment in my neighborhood. it's not exactly in downtown, but you can reach the center within 15 minutes, via tram. I thought these apartments (actually they are lofts) were quite lovely, and you have a beautiful view of St Peter's Dome.

Here is the site:

http://www.loftinrome.com/

Hope this helps!!

portland, Ore
Level Contributor
255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Cloony, I am in my early 60's and my wife and I just rented a great place in Rome using VRBO.Com. (Vaca Rentals By Owner) We have used VRBO for places thruout the world. Just go to their website, and peruse all of the available Apts. in Rome, and you should be able to find something that you like. The place we rented was a little outside of the main part of town, but there were at least two express busses that would wisk us back and forth each day,and it was close to grocery stores and other outlets.

If you want to "place an area" where an apt is located, ask them for their address and plug it into Google Maps. (Use the satelite and map combined view). That is what i did, and I was able to pinpont the apt and location.

The transportation system in Rome is fantastic. Don't worry to much about the location........just find out how many busses and express busses service the neighborhood.

Be careful when renting thru Craigs list. The renter that followed us into the Rome apt. got caught in a illegit rental, and was out in the cold.

Perth, Western...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Hi Cloonlough

Have just returned from Rome, staying in a rental apartment in via del Babuino - between the Spanish steps and the Piazza del Poppolo and within easy walking distance of the Trevi fountain and the Ara Pacis. The Pantheon and Piazza Navona are also an easy, but longer, walk away. Buses regularly depart from the Piazza del Poppolo for the Forum Romanum/Colloseo archealogical area (or you can take a long walk). the only major attraction which is a little out of the way is the Vatican.

The Spagna area has many lovely little restaurants tucked away in side streets and lots of "glamour" shops for window-shopping. You can also take a horse-drawn carriage ride fron the Piazza de Spagna. There is a launderer off the via del Corso and a small supermarket not far from Trevi (although it can be a bit tricky to find initially).

As with everything "you get what you pay for" when renting an apartment. But, having said that, we were very pleased with our choice. You might like to look at the RentalinRome website to get an idea of what is available in the different areas. They have very good photos/videos and plenty of detail re location etc.

One thing I did find was that distances are not as great as they may appear on maps of Rome. I was pleasantly surprised at how close some things really were.

Good luck

capi9

portland, Ore
Level Contributor
255 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Capria has a good point! On our 1st day of touring we went to the Termini sation with the idea of taking the 110 bus, for the tour of the city, but the weather was a little inclement, so we decided it would be better to just go to some of the sights. Then we looked at the map, counted the streets to the Coloseum, and just walked. That day we walked to the Colo., then Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, then Spanish Steps. And we finished up with dinner near the Steps. One step just led to another!

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
770 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

Last October we stayed (two couples, 60s) in an apartment rented through www.dolceroma.com - -in Campo de Fiore neighborhood which we liked. Nice neighborhood. Owned and managed locally so personal service -- very well appointed and stocked apartments. Clean. Easy for walking to all areas and close to supermarkets, restaurants, other shops.

8. Re: Apartments in rome for Oct,.2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:21