We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

This may be a dumb question, but I'm getting conflicting reports (or at least I'm reading them in a conflicting way :-)

We're flying from USA to London (I've got those figured out - 3 oz. liquids in no larger than an 8 x 8 in. clear ziploc bag). Then London to Rome via British Airways. We were hoping to each (2 of us) bring one carry-on, according to Airline rules. Will we be able to bring liquids in with us according to the above specifications? When we leave from Florence airport, will we be able to do the same? Or are we going to have to check one bag? Any thoughts would be helpful. After over 400 days of planning, we're down to 10!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,923 Reviews
from US$122.80*
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

It's not what you are allowed to bring in, it's what you are allowed to take out. And you are not allowed liquids, put them in your checked in luggage.

Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

Roma 72, so if I have this right, I would be able to bring in the ziplocked bags in my carry-on luggage (one rolling suitcase for both my wife and I) into Italy, but when we leave, we would either have to discard all liquids and gels, or we would have to check at least one of the bags?? Is that what you are saying? Can you tell I'm worrying about this, that I need to double check and make sure everything is spelled out exactly?? Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Roma
Roma
Rome, Italy
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

Your problem seems to be whether to take carry on bags only or put one through at check-in. I would go for the second just to be sure. If they find something you shouldn't have they will take it from you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

The question of liquids has to do with what you can bring on carry-on. Sample-sized gels and liquids are the way to go. I pack what can't live without in the carry-on and just check the rest. That which doesn't meet the requirements will be confiscated - so if in douft -- check it.

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
513 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

We were in Spain in April and flew from O'Hare to Paris to Barcelona and went through security in Paris (2x) and Barcelona and the rules for liquids were the same as the US, jsut a guess but I think all EU counties have the same rules. Have not read on TA that you can't bring liquids on flights origionating in Italy.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
minneapolis
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

To makes things simple, leave any liquids in your check in bags. Anything such as toothpaste, lighters, hair gel, shampoo, hairspray, deoderant, etc. should be in your check-in bag. You can't bring any type of water bottles through the security gate either. You will have to trash any open and closed bottles you are drinking. In order to bring a liquid onto the plane, you will have to buy it in the airport terminal stores, once you pass security gates.

When you are coming home, you can buy things in the airport stores and they usually seal it in a clear bag for you to bring onto the plane. Again, this is done within the airport once you pass the security gates.

You can usually bring on lip-balm, or something small like that. But to avoid being pulled over and searched by security, better to leave all of that stuff in your check-in bag. No one likes to be halted and semi-humiliated in front of hundreds of people... so best to just put all that stuff in the check-in bag.

Most carriers allow you up to 2 check-in bags per person, under 50 pounds each and one carry on bag under 13 pounds. Any bag over $50 will be fined for what ever poundage it is over 50, which can be a little costly. So keep the check-in bags semi light cuz you'll probably fill them up with souvenirs and need the room. You can bring back Wine bottles too but they have to be in your check-in bags.

They will check your bags in customs so don't try to sneak anything illegal in your bags such as ivory, weird animals, drugs, fruits or plants that don't have a USA Approved inspection sticker on them. Customs will take those away and probably give you a hard time.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,392 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

In March leaving ciampino I showed security my little plastic 8 x 8 bag with 3 ounce samples of liquids creams and gels. no problem. It is the same in every airport in europe. I recently returned from mauritius via Paris CDG with my 8 x 8 bag, and no problems there either. They only confiscate large bottles and water.You can take your plastic bag in your carry on. One thing about the UK is you are only allowed one carry on each, and that includes a handbag/purse, which if you need it, in addition, has to fit into your carry on. But once you get through security it can come out of the bag. All very silly. So you can take your ziploc. It is perfectly legal.

Good luck!

Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

Thanks all. Bronia - that was what I was looking for, I guess. Someone that had flown out of Italy and had their liquid/gels in a ziplock 8 x 8 and were fine. Yes, that's the difficulty - only 1 carry-on per/person including purse when traveling THROUGH the UK to another destination. Yes, it would make it simple to pack liquids/gels in check-in luggage - but we don't want to check luggage if we don't have to. We've worked hard to get 9 days worth of packing into carry-ons so we don't have to pick up bags, so we can easily transport on and off trains, and so we can be assured of no damaged/lost luggage. Again, thanks for you help, my mind is much more at ease now.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,392 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

Journeypaul

Glad to be of help. It is all very confusing I know, and one does get conflicting advise. I emailed my airlines, checked airport websites, phoned airlines and double checked government transportation advice. Result was no problems on trip.

Have a lovely time and best wishes

Bronia

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: liquids and gels IN and OUT of Italy. Help! Leaving soon

You will be allowed to take the allotted 3oz/100grams/mils contained in the required quart size ziploc bag in your carry on both going to and returning from Italy and to and from the UK.

You will also be allowed to purchase water bottles after security, some airports will allow you to take that water onto the plane, some won't--it's a cr*pshoot.

This is what happened to me in March, to and from the UK.