We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in your 20s

Manhattan
5 posts
Save Topic
Rome in your 20s

Hi,

I'm going to be extending my trip to eurpoe to include Rome for 4 days. I'm traveling with my sister and we are both in our 20s, but alot of the guide books have been writen with an older perspecitive. I'd like to get some thoughts on some moderate places to shop and eat . . . including outlets. Also since we are there for such a short time the top sites you would suggest to see while we are there. Also, what is the night life like? So far all the stories of pick pocketing have made us think we will not be staying out too late while in Rome . . . .

Thanks for any suggestions!

PS - Has anyone done a day trip to Capri to see the blue grotto and back while staying in Rome?

Antwerp
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in your 20s

Well, in Via del Corse ( one of the main shopping streets in the historic center) there surely are very modern shops, there's the usual puma, adidas shops but also Energy which is more 'in' .

Right outside Rome they recently built a very big mall. ( like the biggest of Europe or something like that) I forgot the name, but maybe someone on this forum can help you out.

It's very new and also has lovely places to eat.

as for the night life : go to Campo dei'Fiori. It 's a piazza (square) and in the evenings it's usually full of people. There are some nice bars and lots of tourists and locals.

As you will be there for 4 days you will be able to see all the major tourist attractions such as collosseum, foro romano, trevi, piazza di spagna, piazza navona, campo dei'fiori, pantheon, piazza del popolo, piazza venezia,... in Rome everything is quite close to eachother.

Pick pocketing also happens in the day, you just have to be careful and not start counting money on the street or keeping it in your pockets. Be aware of gypsies and their kids. Sorry to say this but those are most likely to pick your pockets and you usually don't expect a kid to do that so you are more vulnerable.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in your 20s

Hi

I guess Rome is a lot about history so guidebooks will focus on stuff like Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon etc. I have made an interactive Google map of Rome that shows you the location of some of the attractions: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . Click on the various markers to get more info. I went there with my wife a couple of years ago and I also went there on a company trip last year. One night we ended up at the Ice bar :-) It was freezing but a fun experience even if the drink selection was limited and expensive :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in your 20s

Some guides, like Let's go, or the Routard guide are for the budget minded traveler, check those out. For nightlife, I agree that Campo dei Fiori is a good area, otherwise also Trastevere is packed at night, and San Lorenzo, and Testaccio (it has a few clubs too) are also areas where people hang out at night. Pickpockets are more common during the day. Rome is overall pretty safe, especially in the crowded areas. Use precautions if you stay around Termini, the train station, at night.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in your 20s

Yes, i have gone to Capri and back in one day. I took a vastour tour. I found it at the front desk of my hotel.

I recently read some trip report of a woman who reported that it took 90 minutes to enter the Blue Grotto at Capri. Well you are sitting in a larger boat waiting to be put in a large row boat so you can enter and see the beauty of the Blue Grotto. She was shocked that you had to enter via a row boat. The grotto is a cave in the water. No other way to see it except swim!

Capri is a beutiful place. And the lemoncello aint bad either :)

Mass.
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in your 20s

We went to Capri but were staying in Sorrento so it wasn't a long trip. If the sun isn't out it isn't worth seeing the grotto. So you may be disappointed if the conditions aren't right. The sun was out for about 2 seconds so we got a quick look. I don't think it was worth the trouble. It is an experience shifting into and out of the rowboats.

harrow
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome in your 20s

Capri is a lovely place but I do agree with the above poster regarding the long wait to get into the grotto.

Might be nicer to enjoy watching the world go by in Capi and sipping some LIMONCELLO. Hic looks like someone has had one too many!!!lol

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome in your 20s

I agree about the row boat shift. the OP is in his/her 20's so there should be no problem. If a tourist is a little long in the tooth and perhaps on the heavy side then the transfere from the larger boat to row boat can cause a problem.

That said, those Blue Grotto rowers have over the years hoisted everyone from size zero to size 28W..

Sometimes the tourist gets a panic attack during the shift. Relax they havent lost a client yet.

If the sun is out and the water calm it is the experience of a life time.

They don't go if the conditions are not perfect.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome in your 20s

What is the best guidebook that is geared to a younger, budget traveler? IMHO it used to be "Let'sGo!"... is that still true?

Agatha,

Lemoncello is wonderful!

Best,

Mike

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome in your 20s

Thanks Mike..

harrow