We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Orlando, Fl
10 posts
Save Topic
Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

My family and I are off to Rome in 3 weeks for 7 days. Those of you with teens. What were the best attractions or just things that you did that we should not miss. Side trips as well!! I have a son and daughter.

We are a fun family so don't hold back.

pasadena, california
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Please invite your teens to participate in planning the trip. Borrow some books from the library; any books covering Italy or Rome. Look up thread in the forums about traveling with children. It will be a great family vacation if everyone is involved in decision making. It will be hot in 3 weeks so taking breaks and replenishing with cold drinks are important. Have a great vacation.

Queensland
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Hi I have asked similar questions also as we are taking our 17 year old son. He has picked a few areas he wants to visit-for example Trastevere and Piazza Navona but he just wants to get a feel for the different way of life. He was very happy to find that he can legally drink in Italy so he is looking forward to trying the different wines with the HUGE amount of food he wants to try as he needs to be 18 in Australia. I was given a website for the Cappuchin Crypt that he is really interested in seeing

cappucciniviaveneto.it/cappuccini_ing.html

It is certainly an "interesting" place for teenage boys! Hope you have a great trip and list a trip report with any other exciting ideas you find for your teenagers.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Rome has a lot to offer... you can find comprehensive info on: http://www.wantedinrome.com.

I can also sugest a fun tour of the city, your kids and you will surly enjoy dark rome tours: www.darkrome.com!!

england
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Took our three early teens last October for a week- hot weather enabled us to sit out every evening to eat, we were a little apprehensive (would they enjoy it?!) they adored Rome and lapped up everything - all the things adults would do they loved - all the monuments/sites/churches/Vatican/Forum. They particularly loved St Peter's, Pantheon and surrounding area, window shopping on Saturday evening, I could go on and on. We are returning in Feb.

If it is hot make plenty of stops for Drinks/Ice-cream along the way and get in to the laid back side of Rome. Hop on the buses if need be (an adventure in itself!) and walk everywhere else.

If your son is in to gruesome things there is a little church with skulls in the catacombs (cannot remember name)

Pick up the Rick Steves guide book - it's simple and has plenty of ideas.

Eat off the main tourist areas and avoid the revolting Pizza place just off Navona (think it has American/Australian names for Pizza)

We found plenty of family restaurants at around E60 for five with wine.

en route
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

We just got back from our trip first week in June. With 3 kids (2 teen, 1 pre-teen), we used Rome With Kids, by TA expert Solo Roma. It gets you through each site making it really fun for everyone. I can't recommend it enough. Also, if you can figure out how to read my trip report, I give our highlights. Mainly, loved St. Peter's, Pantheon, gelato, Tiber Island, Ostia Antica (half day) and the Forum. Just following the little tours in the book were entertaining. Kind of making a scavanger hunt feel to looking around gets the kids involved.

Older kids loved Campo dei Fiori, shpping around the stalls and markets, and Spanish Steps.

Main advice, don't rush, don't overdo. Eat often, not at big restaurants, just pick stuff up to keep them happy, and break up the touring.

Our kids are still talking about the trip. It was just great.

Debary
Level Contributor
988 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Our teen grandsons liked the Capuccin Crypt, the Forum, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Ostia Antica. But truth be told, they really weren't thrilled with Rome as a whole. They didn't like the traffic, the rudeness that they perceived, the dirt and grafitti, it was just sort of overwhelming to them. Just not what they had imagined.

But surprising to us, they LOVED the hilltown of Orvieto, and wished they could have spent more than one day there. Who would have thought? We should have just taken them to Tuscany! So you never know, just open them up to many options and see what appeals to them. That said, I do have to say that gelato was one of the highlights of their visit to Rome! They never got enough.

Whoops, almost forgot. We had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe, and they really enjoyed those cheeseburgers!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

As I am writing I asked my two teens ( we go home 4 days ago)...they liked the ancient district (the highlights) and of course the shopping for sports attire and lots of gelato....try all the flavors as it is wonderful.....we took a few days to go to Sorrento and they loved it.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

Teens love climbing St. Peter's Dome, hanging out in piazzas, shopping in the tented market at Campo dei Fiori and down its small pedestrian-only alley, via Giubbonari. They also love watching the cannon shoot a blank over Rome, atop the Gianicolo Hill, exploring Castel Sant'Angelo, and checking out the forum and the viw from the Palatine HIll (over Circus Max). They will love Ostia Antica, too, but take care to only go first thing in the am in July as it is very hot and there is little shade there.

Go out after dinner and walk from sight to sight, like from the Spanish Steps to the Trevi or the Trevi to the Pantheon; teens love the nightlife action and its much more enjoyable to see these kinds of sights after the blazing sun goes down.

Have a blast!

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

my kids liked Rome a lot -- a highlight was the archeological 'scavi' tour under St. Peters --

10. Re: Going to Rome with teens- What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:16