We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for one day in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for one day in Rome

I will be on a cruise the last week of October and have one day in Rome. Can anyone advise me what is better, a pre planned trip from the cruise line ( Celebrity ) , or go about Rome ourselves? Also, what is the weather like so I can pack properly. I have noticed everyone advising woman not to wear any jewlery at all. I do not own a rolex, but do I really have to leave my engagement ring, wedding band and a anniversary ring at home? Do I also have to leave my video and digital camera and just use my cell phone for pictures? Than you to anyone who replies. Greatly appreciate any and all advice!

barcelona
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for one day in Rome

best advice is cancel the rest of the cruise, stay in rome for at least a week, and catch the next boat.

:)

we were there a week, with 2 kids in tow, and we saw a tiny part of what we wanted to. didn't even make it to the vatican museum.

in terms of safety, use common sense. are you the sort who can't drink a capuccino and keep an eye on your bag/camera/ipod at the same time? if so, leave unnecessary stuff in the hotel safe.

it's all about a little common sense.

good luck and i hope you have as great a time as we did.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for one day in Rome

Hi,

We visited Rome in Oct. of '05. The weather was beautiful, mild but not hot like Florida weather. You should be able to wear your regular summer clothing. We brought fold-up umbrellas along in case of inclement weather and lightweight jackets if it got cool.

As noted, just be cautious when touring in Rome or elsewhere in Europe. Don't wear a lot of expensive jewelry while out during the day. By all means, wear your rings, no need to leave them home.

Here's what we did, went to WalMart and purchased a neck pouch which fit under our clothing. Carried our credit cards, euros, etc. in them (bought one for my husband also) and we felt perfectly safe doing this. I also had a small purse that fit over my shoulder and under my arm so I could carry any personal items (glasses, etc.). If you use public busses, just be aware of who is around you on the busses. We didn't have any problems anywhere in Europe traveling this way.

If you haven't been to Rome b4, then you might just want to book the Celebrity tour. Check out where it will take you and what stops it makes. Unfortunately, one day is not going to be enough but you can get a good overview of Rome and decide that you really need to go back there for a longer period of time! If you do the Celebrity tour, then you know you will get back to the ship on time. Otherwise, if you travel on your own be aware of your time to return to the ship. Some people have taken the train from the port (about a 15 min. walk from the port to the train station). Again, you will need to be aware of train schedules, etc. You will love Rome.

Bear in mind that it is an hour and a half trip from the port into Rome so you will lose 3 hr. travel time. You could take the hop on hop off bus and get off at the Colosseum, tour there, then get back on. You could also visit St. Peter's Basilica & see inside there on your own (it's free to go inside). The Vatican & Sistine Chapel really require a minimum of 2-3 hr. to adequately see these 2 places.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful cruise. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. I would also suggest that you go to the www.cruisecritic.com board which is strictly cruise information. You will be able to find the cruise line and your date of sail there and see who else is going on the same cruise. Good luck.

May

barcelona
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for one day in Rome

good post may.

an additional suggestion:

a good friend wears an amazing amount of beautiful (and expensive) jewellery. when travelling she puts the lot (except her engagement ring) in the bank safe, and wears a bunch of costume jewellery (ie, cheap knock-off stuff).

she doesn't feel 'naked', and if anything goes missing, she's not upset.

Toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for one day in Rome

How many of you are travelling together? If there are 4 or 6 of you, a private driver picking you up in Civitevecchia (at the port) would be a preferred option. We did that, and it was far better (as an experience, and also price wise) than taking the cruise excursion. But we weren't walking behind somebody sticking a flag up in the air, with 50 other people trailing behind.....waiting for those who were tardy (therefore missing stops due to time constraints). Our driver was fantastico, a historian, spoke great english, and gave us a whirlwind tour of Roma which included The Coliseum, The Mouth of Truth, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and of course, Vatican City. Somehow he knew exactly when to go to St. Peter's and The Vatican, and we had no line-ups whatsoever, walked in, browsed about, walked out. We were able to stop when we pleased, take pictures, grab lunch and/or a drink, it was so much better than the cruise ship tour. And for less!!! We let Claudio decide what we should see and what we should skip. We loved him so much, we paid extra for him to drive to Livorno two days later, to pick us up from there and show us around Florence!

Check out private limo options. Claudio was with limoinrome.

5. Re: Advice for one day in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 12:20