We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

toronto
Level Contributor
253 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

I've heard that some of the tours of The Vatican can be, how do I put this politely, boring! I'm traveling with 2 teenage boys. Can anyone recommend a tour group for The Vatican that may cater to families?

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

the worst way to show kids art is to take them on a tour

go yourself -- at your own pace -- have them decide ahead on the stuff they want to see -- and then go look at that --

we raised two kids to be art museum lovers -- we did it by NEVER death marching them through museums -- always looking at museum trips as a seduction into loving art -- and building around their interests and choices

have the kids help plan the trip -- and help plan the Vatican Museum excursion -- mine really did find the Sistine Chapel interesting and loved climbing St. Peter's Dome

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

I visited Rome last year with 2 kids 14 and 12 and we did St Peters and the Vatican in a day and they enjoyed it in an "experience" sort of way. They did love climbing the St Peters tower and the views were amazing from up there. The Vatican we just wandered around finding of interest what we would - no-one could ever fail to be impressed with the Sistine Chapel. You can hire audio guides there if they are more interested and want to know details. What I did was I had a guidebook with basic information and just read out bits from that - impressing upon them how absolutely famous things were. When we were there in August there were a loads of tourists from different countries and indeed many Italians and their enthusiasm semed to impress my kids. The Italian churches insist on you being covered up so no shorts or strappy tops. I would say do it - even if they whinge all the way round they will never forget it.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

Yes, take them - they might complain, but you never know what will sink in. We took 2 teens at Easter this year. We were with my son's school group, so the group arranged the tour. The guide was interesting, but I think most of the kids enjoyed just looking around. If you are in a large group and wearing headphones (this is how many of the tours are done due to the large numbers) our kids can look on their own, and listen in if it suits them. You will probably appreciate the guidance.

My 13 year old daughter still complains about her boring trip to Italy, yet I hear her telling friends and family about many things she experienced there, from the food to churches to how people drive. She definitely learned quite a bit in spite of her "boredom." My 15 year old son is more interested in history, and he loved the trip.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

The boys should have a blast! I agree that a guided tour is very boring for most kids. You can do it yourself. The key is pace and timing. Pick your personal highlights and stick to finding them fast, then get out. I'd recommend skipping the picture galleries (unless you're art fans that have special works you want to see), and going for the Raphael Rooms and Sistine Chapel. This is a lot to do on a first trip to the Vatican all by itself. But it'll be more memborable and pleasant to focus on the masterpieces in the Raphael Rooms, which are en-route to the Sistine Chapel, and then enjoying the chapel, too.

5. Re: vatican tour with teenagers - should we do it?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 01:20