We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

They were on a cruise, and the Cruise ship apparently had a problem when they got to Rome, they have told the guests they will get their money back (who cares at this point) the girls are in Rome and supposed to be cruising to Venice, where they have a flight that will bring them home on the thirteenth... any ideas, apparently the cruise line is trying to get them flights home, but, the fact is, they will not get to go on this vacation to Europe again, so, we are trying to find a bus coach or tour or eurorail and ideas for where they should stay along the way....any ideas or help is appreciated and we will continue to look for ideas here too.

BTW, we have no way to reach the girls, they called for three mins from a pay phone and left a message from the airport.

Thanks all

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,208 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

They can go to Termini station tomorrow and get tickets to Venice. You could start looking for a hotel for them somewhere in Venice. They could see some of the city and still fly home on the 13th.

If they call again tell them to go to a Tobacchi shop and buy a calling card good for calling to Canada. They should cost 5-10 euros and be good for 200-400 minutes of talking from pay phones or hotel phones.

They could go to the Canadian Embassy for some assistance also.

italybound@verizon.net

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

Buying tickets at Termini is easy. Eurostar train takes 4hours and half from Rome to Venice. I think there is also some sort of Tourist Accomodation office in Termini Station where they can ask for a place to sleep in Venice. If they go downstairs at Termini they can buy an International phone card at the newsstand.

Hope everything goes fine. Let us know.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

No problem at all, like others said they should just take a train to venice, 4 hrs and bam! they are there!. Book a hotel either from Rome or when they arrive at the station in Venezia (or you can book it for them on the internet) and then enjoy the most beautiful city in the world!

ciao

Claudio

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

What a terrible way to treat their customers. You should encourage the girls to ask for reimbursement of any expenses they have - train, hotel, meals. Follow thw advice above. Don't worry they will be fine, the Italians will help them I am sure. Ciao

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

Cooper1, do as the others have advised ! tell them to get a calling card at a tabacchi shop ! We used the Europa Card and it was cheap and easy to use. I am sure that they will find a way to call home again ! I will say a prayer for them, but I know that they will be fine. This will all just become part of their adventures and they will probably have great memories from it ! On the lighter and brighter side, I couldn't think of a better place than Rome to be stranded in !!! And even though they are in Italy, there are tons of Romans who speak English very well so they shouldn't have any problems. I have found the Italian people to be the most helpful people !!!

The cruise ship will have to take care of all their needs !!! They can't leave them stranded. I'm willing to bet that the cruise ship directors have already helped them to solve their problems !!

Good luck and many prayers for you and your nieces!!!

evesham
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

Cooper 1 Have you any news on your nieces, hope they are ok!!

7. Re: Help! Neices stranded in Rome after Cruise ship breaks down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:20