We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

We would like to take a day trip to Pompeii from Rome. We could hire a private driver or we could take the train. I figure the train might be faster because of the traffic. If we had a car, I thought we would have more flexibility if we wanted to go to Vesuvius or even Soreento. Does anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

I don't know that taking the train would be any faster, mainly because you'd have to switch trains in Naples. And the train out to Pompeii from there is a commuter train that makes many stops along the way.

The main difference would be the cost - hiring a private driver for the day would likely cost a few hundred euros. You could go by train for a fraction of the price.

A driver might give you a bit more flexibility, but you can easily get to Vesuvius and/or Sorrento on the same train system you take from Naples (Circumvesuvianna).

Hope this helps.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

Susan

I posted this a year or so ago – hope it helps!

"My husband and I did the summit of Vesuvius and then Pompeii two years ago. We left Rome on a train at around 7:30 in the morning, arrived Naples 9:30. Took the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Herculaneum, where we shared a minibus with several others who got off the train here as well (there are plenty of minibuses at the station - they just wait for the trains coming in). The minibus then took us to just below the summit of the volcano - you walk the rest of the way to the top (take water!). The bus driver waited and then took us back to Herculaneum station. (We didn't have to pay the driver until we got back to the station). We then got on a train to Pompeii, which if I remember is only a few stops on from Herculaneum. Had a quick lunch and then into the ruins where we stayed for three or four hours. Back on the train from Pompeii to Naples and thence back to Rome. Arrived back around about 22:00, tired but extremely happy. On the summit of Vesuvius we felt very insignificant - it is truly awe-inspiring."

Chris

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

Thank you both so much!

United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

We checked trenitalia to compare the cost of taking the train or taking a shuttle bus and we found that trenitalia was $49 each way per person, the tour bus comes out to $74 per person for the round trip. We decided to take the shuttle bus. They take you and wait for you for 4 hrs then take you back to a specified location in Rome. This is the company someone recommended on another post. They have two options, I read that the Naples/Pompeii option was a pain because they take you through Naples while they drop off other people. If you're not interested in that, look for the shuttle bus tour to Pompeii.

www.viator.com

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

Another option is to take Enjoy Rome's Pompeii Shuttle :

http://www.enjoyrome.com/shuttle_tour/pompeii.html)

The shuttle covers transport to and from Pompeii.

Euro 45 (under 26); Euro 55 (over 26).

The shuttle is cheaper than roundtrip train tickets but the shuttle is not offered every day.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

"we found that trenitalia was $49 each way per person,"

I don't know what you were looking at, but it need not cost this much. A 2nd class Eurostar ticket from Rome to Naples is 25 euros, I believe. A seat on an ICPlus train is even less.

From Naples, the Circumvesuvianna train out to Pompeii Scavi is only a few euros.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

Traveled from Rome to Pompeii. Very easy via train. Change at Naples. I arrived in Pompeii at 11:30 AM had lunch for two hours opposite the Ruins and walk the Ruins for 3/4 hours. Caught the 6:30 back to Rome. For specifics in travel. Purchase the Rick Steves' guide book.

United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

jjkdc... I looked at the trenitalia website. I put Rome - Pompeii which also included the transfer in Naples. Still $49 per person each way is more expensive than the $74 you pay for the shuttle for the entire trip.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

Travellovers - I got my numbers directly from the Trenitalia site. Are you sure you weren't looking at RailEurope's site?

I ask because I've noticed that when one googles "trenitalia" up comes a link that says "Official Trenitalia site" which actually takes you Rail Europe, and NOT the official Trenitalia site. Anyway, Rail Europe tacks on extra charges for a ticket.

United States
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Pompeii from Rome-train or private driver?

jjkdc

I never googled trenitalia, I went directly to this website that I have saved in my favorites

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

I just checked again before responding to you and for example:

Rome - Pompeii , making a change at NA C. LE

leaving at 10:45am arriving at 13:18pm

Trains 7425/2429

Standard fare 34.80 euros for one person

By the way, a lot of people have been having problems purschasing from the trenitalia website, is it easier and less problems to buy tickets from the raileurope website?