We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

Grand Rapids, MN
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

Have to decide between the two--please help me. Family of five (2 adults and three teen) will be visiting Vatican, Castel Sant Angelo, Cappucin Crypt, Colloseum, Forum, Paletine Hill, as well as walking stretches by Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps. We only have time for one of these.

Which would you pick........and why? Thanks in advance,people!!!!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

I have seen the catacombs and not Ostia Antica but i would lean toward ostia antica because there is more to it. The catacombs are great but one dimensional. You will probably already get a feel for it by going to the cappucin crypt. There is a lot to do and see at ostia antica it is more varied and supposed to be amazing ruins.

Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

We saw lots of families visiting Ostia Antica last March. If you don't have the time to visit Pompeii (we didn't) it is a great substitute. You can actually walk on mosaic floors and climb in ancient houses.

The trip is very interesting and only 1 Metro ticket each way or use the RomaPass. You get there via the Metro from Termini and switch to the light rail train inside the Piramide stop. You can also get there by boat via the Tiber River but that is an all day trip. There is a nice museum and modern cafe on site.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

We went to both recently. Go to Ostia--it is amazing. Appia Antica is fine, but if you want a real feel of what Ancient Rome was like, Ostia is a better choice because it is much more intact. There is much more to see in Ostia. You can do the Via Appia trip in about 2-3 hours. Ostia, including travel, is more about 5-6 hours.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

Of the 2 I have only been to Ostia but I would agree that it is probably the better choice for all the reasons that others have mentioned and also because it has an excellent cafe in the grounds!:-)

Alameda, ca
Level Contributor
240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

We loved Ostia, and took the train down there. It is a very easy walk from the train station.

We found it more interesting and easier to see than the forum. At Otsia you can walk amoung the ruins, with less people and more access than forum. We tried the audio guide but found it kind of confusing. We had the Rick Steeves pages on Ostia and found that more helpful.

Down side. We went on a Sunday, train down was ok but packed with Romans headed to the beach at Lido. Coming back was a zoo and were afraid we wouldn't be able to fit and get on the train. Hubby "lost" his wallet on the way back.

But even with this, we don't regret our trip to Ostia. Nice cafe, with shaded places to sit on grassy areas in addition to tables.

My 19 year old nephew who is admitedly very interested in history really enjoyed the trip as well.

Didn't do Appian, so I can't do comparision

Auntie

6. Re: Catacombs on Appian or Ostia Antica????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 13:20