We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Peters and the Vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
St Peters and the Vatican

We are visiting Rome in September and were wondering if a tour of St. Peters and the Vatican is worth the money. We have 3 children aged 7, 10 and 12 - would it be better to do it ourselves or is there anyone who has had a tour with children that could recommend someone.

Thanks

Nicky

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

St Peter's might have tours on some afternoons but even if you go by yourselves with a good book you will find it wonderful. The Vatican Museums may be too much for young children. It is at least an hour and a half and very crowded.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
39 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

We have just returned from Rome. The Vatican tour we had was well worth it as we didn't have to keep our head in a book. Avoiding queues with children is also a good idea. St Peters itself is actually free, you queue from the courtyard in the front of the church. The museum queue/entrance is around the corner and the queues are huge. See ad on this website for Vatician Museum tickets. St Peters is the most amazing building I have been in. The kids will live the Popes glass coffins!!!!! Everything is so huge. In summer there were some tours being offered from in front of the Vatican by people ofering English speaking Tours in the morning. I don't think these were the strickly legal ones, but the kids on them seemed to be catered for, however they did have to queue, where the official one s you don't. You just meet the guides at the front door of the Museums. Also, kids tend to listen to others giving information better than their parents!!! From a parent and a primary school teacher. !

Ps Don't miss the Trevi fountain for the kids, the pantheon has a hole in the roof, that will fascinate them, especially if it rains!! and the coloseum. They will enjoy the gladiators outside all dressed up, but they charge you for their photos!!! You can hire audio or video tours here, the kids would probably like the video ones!!! The Palantine Hill area and Forum are free, but you can get audio guides here as well. Enjoy it, it will be the best monetary outlay you could give your kids ever. P>S An all day bus ticket cost 4 euro and gets you everywhere-just validate it when you get on the bus. Well worth it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

Viator.com do a "Skip The Line" Vatican tour which my girlfriend and i have booked for 4 weeks time. They aslo pick you up from your hotel! Its only 43 euros for adults...children could be half price or even free

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my next question

WildGesseNZ....... Where can i purchase this all day 4 euro ticket for the bus?

Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

Going into St Peters Square, and into the great church too, is a must-see whilst in Rome. Apart from the sheer size and grandeur of the place, great art works are contained inside, by Bernini and Michelangelo. Free entrance. Queue in the square, and there is a security baggage check.

The Vatican Museums are one of the finest art collections in the world. Very well worthwhile too, and include not only a picture gallery full of masterpieces, sculptures that are world famous, rooms decorated by Raphael, and of course the Sistine Chapel. You will have to queue to get in, possibly for some time- best to go early in the morning; and it is quite tiring too, being actually a number of museums and galleries that involve a lot of walking. A bit tiring for children. I did both myself with a good guidebook, so I was pleased to be able to go round at my own pace, sitting down when I wanted. I'd rather do this than be on a guided tour, where you can't spend as much time as you would like sometimes looking at particular works that take your fancy! Whichever you do, you are bound to be very impressed, I think.

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

Seminarians from the North American College give tours of St. Peter's during the academic year. September may be a bit early for them because classes in Rome's pontifical universities do not start until October 15, but they are already back in Rome by September. Tours leave around 2 or 2:15 p.m. from a desk inside the Vatican Post office on the left-side of the square as you face St. Peter's.

As for the Vatican Museums, there are audio tours available for those who just want to roam on their own (or should I say Rome on their own -- sorry for the pun). The Museums include the Sistine Chapel at the end of the long and winding walk through exhibits of paintings, sculptures, liturgical vestments, gifts from heads of state, and so much more. It is, in all likelihood, one of the greatest depositories of art in the world and can be very overwhelming for the first-time visito. To be honest, young children not into this will probably get bored. I brought teens and early-20s a few years ago (I bring a college class every year) and THEY were bored in 15 minutes. Other times, I had groups that wanted to stay for days.

The market at Campo dei Fiori is a wonderful place for sites, sounds, and smells -- flowers, spices, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, and a funny old guy who sells utensils that carve veggies into crazy shapes.

Kids are into ghoulish things, so I should recommend the Bone Church -- the Church of the Immaculate Conception, located at the beginning of the Via Veneto, just off the Piazza Barberini. Hundreds of remains of Capuchin monks line the walls, are some bones are used to form decorations, lamps, and other designs. I know, it sounds really weird, but if the kids won't get freaked out, they will be very interested. It's one the places my students always talk about after they visit.

There is a zoo in Rome, called the Bioparco and a small amusement park called Luna Park or LunEUR, located in EUR, the Mussolini-era "new Rome" you will probably pass on the way from the airport into the heart of Rome.

When I lived at the North American College, we used to walk up the street, the via del Gianicolo (Janiculum) to Piazza Garibaldi, from which you get an incredible view of Rome. They shoot a canon every day to mark the noon hour, and I believe they still have the same Punch n Judy show that has been performed there for decades.

These are not formal tours, obviously, but just some suggestions for things the kids may like.

Tim

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

The seminarians from the PNAC do a great job with their tours. I highly recommend them.

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

Thank you everyone!!!!

Nicky

Virginia , USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

St Peters Basilica, the museum and the Vatican is a must even if you are not Cathoic. The frescoes and the painted 3D ceilings are worth seeing for anyone, by the way the 3D is just an effect the masters created, the tapestries hanging are also a must to see. The Sixteenth Chapel is a marvell. Get a good tour guide to explain everything, it would be worth it. We had Emilia as a guide, a lady that has a great passion for what she does and knows the history amazingly well. Have fun. We just come bacdk from Rome 10 days ago.

olga

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

Please consider a tour carefully with younger children. You need to be mindful of pacing in order to keep everyone happy. I'd say a private tourguide who has experience leading children would work; other than that, get the audio guides and go at your own pace, seeing only what you deem highlights for you. Keep it simple.

10. Re: St Peters and the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:17