We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ostia Antica

Australia
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Ostia Antica

I have discovered that this is only 1/2hr out of Rome when i was on the Pompeii site, have looked on youtube (my new best friend) and it looks wonderful.

My question is I know you can get there by train and only takes 1/2hr but what train do you catch and how much approx. would it be to get a train there and back as cannot find it on the trenitalia site.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,556 Reviews
from US$74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.80*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,875 Reviews
from US$58.80*
Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ostia Antica

It is a wonderful place and in my opinion better by far as a day trip from Rome than hauling to Pompeii with all the crowds. It's a big town, wonderful theatre, baths, really good mosaics, blocks of flats, little corner cafes - you can really get a feel for how the urban Roman lived which is very different from the feel of the Vesuvian towns which tend towards the upper middle class Roman.

You will find detailed instructions on this forum on how to get there if you search. But basically, you go to Pyramide metro station and then walk into the rail station that adjoins it and get the train to Ostia. There are two stops and you need the one called Ostia Antica. At the station you walk over a road bridge and then you will see the site signed. It's about a 5 minute walk. The train trip cost about 2 euro from memory and took about 30 mins.

It's really a don't miss if you like ancient roman history.

Allie

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Australia
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ostia Antica

Thankyou for the directions. I gathered that people were sometimes more impressed with Ostia Antica just by the Pompeii site. Is it also worthwhile going one more stop to the beach-we will be there in Nov08 so I assume it would be cold then.

Its funny because I hadn't even heard of it, until looking around tripadvisor and the pictures of it look great- even my hubby was interested.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ostia Antica

That's no problem. We had a great day there last year in December and will be back this December too. I have visited Pompeii a few times and Herculaneum and in many ways I did prefer Ostia, mainly because it was so empty!!! And you could just wander at leisure in a much more comfortable manner without the crowds.

One of my favourite parts is what can only be described as a commercial square with arcades of little "trade offices" around it. Each office has a mosaic floor advertising the services of the company - it's amazing and really shows the huge amount of trade that went on here across the Mediterranean.

I didn't go on to the beach - it was warm but not that warm!!! - so can't comment but I know a lot of people do go there in the warmer months.

The trains seemed to run extremely regularly. The little medieval village outside the historical park is also worth a walk around. Very charming streets, church and castle.

Allie

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
472 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ostia Antica

I would also highly recommend Ostia Antica. Half of my students went there when we visited in Rome last March and they raved about it. They went on their own and none of them had been to Italy before. In other words, it's easy to find and do. Previous posters have been spot on with directions.

When I was a student in Rome 20 years ago, Ostia was one of our two beach excursion locations outside of the city. The other was Fregene. Depending on the weather, you can "beach it" from April through October if you'd like. One concern was water cleanliness on occasions after heavy rains. I would hope things have improved over the past two decades.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Fregene
Fregene
Fiumicino, Italy
Australia
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ostia Antica

Thankyou both, its funny if I didn't use tripadvisor I would never of known about this place. Pictures look amazing and i like the fact that it seems to have less tourist. Can't wait to go, even though it seems so far away at the moment :-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ostia Antica

Resurrecting an older post here. Since I began planning our Rome itinerary, Pompeii has always been on the list of places to see. The more I read about the time it takes to get there (well worth it most say) and then compare that to the travel time for Ostia Antica, I'm starting to think perhaps we'll do Ostia instead.

We'll be there in January, so the beach won't matter much beyond just walking down to look at the beauty and take some pictures. So if beach is an argument for one over the other I don't think it will matter in January.

We are having a full day outside of Rome already as we will be taking a cooking class in the countryside, so I'm a little be hesitant to take another long full day out for Pompeii. At the same time, it looks magnificent.

For those who have been to both Pompeii and Ostia, any comments on one over the other? This will not be our only trip to Italy, so I don't need to try and see everything in this one trip. It is, however, a gift to our 5 adult children so I'd like to try and make it as memorable as possible, hitting as many highlights as we can without making it exhausting drudgery.

TIA! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Italy
Italy
Europe
York England
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ostia Antica

Look at this site so as to give you an idea of the size of Ostia Antica, when I visited it last year it was awe inspiring.

http://www.ostia-antica.org/earth.htm

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ostia Antica

Ostia Antica is wonderful! But, make sure you get off at the Ostia Antica stop and not the Ostia stop.

It's also closer to 40 minutes on the train but don't let that stop you from going.

The site is very atmospheric as you get to wander all around and through the ruins.

It's a huge site so give yourself a day for the visit if you can-- I had 4.5 hours and didn't find that enough-- and take a picnic, it's a nice place to sit for a while and soak in the antiquity and atmosphere and it's very parklike with huge trees all around.

I went to Pompeii more than 25 years ago and loved it but I hear that it's even more crowded with people.

Both sites are very different so it's really not easy to compare.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ostia Antica

Another vote for Ostia Antica. I didn't go to Pompeii, but I frankly can't imagine it being any more enjoyable than Ostia. I was there mid-September last year and there were merely a handful of people there in the morning.

Something I personally found particularly fascinating was the level of apparent religious tolerance. You have a pagan temple, a christian church, and waaaaay out far if you make the trek (which I did), a jewish synagogue. That really fascinated me.

one thing I do regret is not getting an audioguide. I used the paper map that I got at the ticket booth and it was helpful but confusing and there's so much to see that I'm sure I missed a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ostia Antica

Ostia Antica is no longer on the shore as you can see in this picture

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…