We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell/Mobile phones

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cell/Mobile phones

Has anyone purchased a SIM card from ekit?

I'm looking for a cheap option for phoning from Europe to Australia

next month.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,652 reviews
from US$73.94*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,022 reviews
from US$60.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
485 reviews
from US$399.98*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,439 reviews
from US$146.17*
US$162.41
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

a SIM card is never a cheap option, unless you only stay in 1 country, or you get 1 SIM card for each country you visit.

Here
Level Contributor
531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

SIM cards are 10-20 euro. You can easily buy them in Italy. If you do not need people to be able to reach you just use a calling card or phone booths at internet cafes.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

Buy an inexpensive and excellent international cell phone from Mobal.com

I've had mine for a few years now and have been really pleased with it and the service from the company. You pay only for the phone and delivery (not sure of Aussie dollars, but $49 and $99 in US dollars....) you get a phone and a number that you own (a UK based number ) and you are only charged for minutes you use. No monthly fees, no contracts, nothing else. You pay a bit more per minute this way but I have yet to have my bill from a 2 week trip be over $50 USD.

Then you keep the phone , turn it off and put it away until your next trip when you need it. You own the number in perpetuity.

Get the info at www.mobal.com and order from here as well. I absolutely love mine!

Ciao! LL

Delaware
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

We have also purchased an international cell phone from Mobal.com - a Motorola #C118 for $59 USD including shipping. Outgoing calls from Italy will be $1.50/min. to US (inc. tax) and incoming calls will be $1.25/min. No experience with it yet, leaving in 4 weeks and keeping fingers crossed it works!

El Dorado Hills
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

Called our cell phone provider, AT&T, before we went to Europe last month and got a one month plan that allowed us to call from Europe to the US. It was $5 for a month and .25 cents/text message and .99 cents per minute to talk. We were in Italy and Greece for a month and everything we did, texting & calls, went right through and the quality was excellent. If you have cell service you might want to ask your provider if they offer a package for you to call between Europe and Australia with your own cell phone.

EDHJIM

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

After lots of research here and on other forums, just bought an unlocked quad band Motorola. Since my cell plan here in the US is with AT&T/Cingular that uses GSM - I took the SIM chip out of my current phone (which was only a dual band) and put it into the new phone. Works great. I'm hoping that when I purchase the Italy SIM chip, it will be as easy.

For those of you that have gone this route - do you know if there is anything different that I will have to do? Any settings that may need changed, etc.? Thanks for any tips you can offer.

TG

United States
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

The only settings that will need to be changed are the voice prompts unless you speak Italian. My instructions were incorrect as the menu had changed but a very nice guy on the train fixed it for me. That way I could reload minutes and check for the time balance.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

Thanks! Perhaps someone at our B&B will be able to help if needed.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

Most motorola phones requires manual switching of the bands(they use different bands in Europe), a unique 'feature' on motorola's. Check your instruction manual. Other phone brands do not require manual switching.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell/Mobile phones

With a Motorola RAZR phone, you can set the phone to automatically search for the network corresponding to the SIM card.

Settings

Network

Network Setup – Automatic

If this does not work or if you need to change networks because of poor reception, you can manually search for a network.

Settings

Network

Available Networks