We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report from Rome

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report from Rome

Because I received so much helpful information on this forum, I wanted to share our trip last week to Rome.

We flew from Paris to Rome on Easyjet for $85. I was concerned about this but it was fine. The fare was $85 compared to others at over $500. We paid $10 for priority seating. People have told me it was like flying Southwest which I have never used as I like my seat ahead of time.

We booked Stefano to pick us up who was highly receommended on this forum. His email is stefano costantini" <allagrande@hotmail. The driver was there waiting and was fine.

Our Rome tour was booked through Gate1. We stayed at the Starhotels Metropole (see review). The hotel itself was very nice but I did not like the Termini location. There are mre upscale areas to stay in and unless you plan to use the metro, which we did not, I would not recommend the area. We did not have any upscale shopping nearby- just a short walk to a street lined with regular shops (Nazionale).

Our tours were handled thruough Caraino Tours that took us to Ancient Rome, Florence, and Capri. They were all fine. These were in large tour buses and large groups - part of our package.

We took additional tours of Orvieto and Assisi plus Rome at Night through Viator. These were much nicer as it was a small van or bus

instead of a large group.

Capri was beautiful and the views were amazing. We had lunch in Anacapri and enjoyed the shops. The Blue Grotto was not possible due to the wave conditions but our tour guide had a boat take us around the perimeter of the island. The boat trip to Capri from Naples was rough but going home, it was much milder. This was our favorite place.

We also loved Orvieto which was an ancient village that you had to take a tram to. It had narrow winding streets with a few shops. Everyone agreed we wish we had more time there. Assisi was similiar. We had lunch at a Tuscan farmhouse which was wonderful. The scenery in Tuscany is groegous!

Florence was a shopper's paradise for leather goods. We had time after we saw Michaelangelo's works and enjoyed walking around there.

We luckily did not encounter any pickpockets but an ATM machine swallowed my card. I immediately canceled it (take a copy of each credit card you bring- both front and back). In that short period of walking back to my hotel to cancel it, I found out yesterday that two withdrawals were made. I do not know how this could have been done but the bank told me it is very common in Italy.

Also be careful as I have never seen such driving as I did in Paris and Rome. The cars do not stop or allow you to cross. it's horrible.

There are internet shops all over if you want to check email. I paid 1.50 eruoes for 30 minutes compared to .45 euroes at my hotel.

As previously stated, there was garbage and foul smells in Rome but you find that anywhere.

If I went back to beautiful Italy, I would stay in an area other than a city as that is just my preference.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Starhotels Metropole
Starhotels Metropole
2,349 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ancient Rome
Ancient Rome
736 Reviews
Province of Rome, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Anacapri
Anacapri
33 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,507 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report from Rome

It is 2 AM here and I apologize for my typing errors. I cannot sleep due to jet lag and the time change.

The time for the internet at the hotel was .45 euroes per minute compared to 1.50 eruoes for 30 minutes. This place was directly across the street from our hotel and there are many available.

Also, get to the airport EARLY. The lines are horrendous and some airlines are not open when you get there. We flew USAir and the line was huge when we got there about 7:30 AM for our 11:15 flight.

The checkin agent did not go on until 8 AM. However, with traffic near the airport and long lines, allow plenty of time.

United States
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report from Rome

Missshopper.... we're booked through viator to take the orvieto/assisi tour in October. Could you tell me more about it? What did you like or didnt like? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report from Rome

The only negative thing I can say is that we did not have enough shopping time at the first area by the first church in Assisi. There were wonderful shops but we saw the church and then proceeded with our tour guide down the hill to the second church. Along the way, there were wonderful shops and we couldn't go in them. We saw pastries that looked delicuous but we were unable to stop. We were given time at the bottom of the hill (about 45 minutes) but it was not enough time to go back up. There were some shops there- mostly religious articles- but none of the cute places we saw on the upper level.

Orvieto was one of the most attractive villages we visited and we all wished we had more time there too. However, we were able to walk around a little. That to us was a real Italian village and everyone on our tour just loved it.

We ate at a summer farm in Tuscany. The lunch was wonderful! It had a great atmosphere and delicious food.

We were on a small bus with a great group which even made it nicer!

This trip was one of the best on our tour. The first was Capri!

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Assisi
Assisi
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report from Rome

Missshopper... When you went to the Orvieto/Assisi tour, did they stop at any wineries?

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
419 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report from Rome

We ate at a Tuscan summer farm where they had a room to sample wine and other items first. I booked this tour through viator and we enjoyed it tremendously.

On the way to Florence, we also stopped at a hugh facility that had lots of wine and products to sample.

I have been to the wineries in Napa Valley so I did not want any to real tours of a winery. I also don't like wine! There are some tours called "Taste of Italy" by greenline tours, I think, that do offer such.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
6. Re: Trip report from Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 00:17