We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
451 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

I'm elated to have been confirmed for a 3:30 Saturday Scavi tour. We will only be in Rome for one day, and we would also like to see the Sistine Chapel; because we arrive in Rome just before noon on Saturday, no tour works for our time frame--they start earlier then we can get there, or they go too long so that we'd miss the Scavi tour, which we don't want to do. Is it possible to enter the Vatican Museum on our own at noon and be assured that we'll have seen the Sistine Chapel before 3 P.M.--or is that expecting too much? I have read that after the Scavi tour, participants can go upstairs to St. Peter's and the Sistine Chapel--am I recalling that correctly and will they still be accepting visitors at 5 P.M. on Saturday? We then have a 3 hour walking tour with Presto Tours at 6 PM, and I'd cancel that and choose the Sistine Chapel over it if I knew I could get into it. Geez, this is complicated. Priorities, eh? I've been beaming ever since I got the scavi confirmation. Thanks for any help you can give me. Sharon

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

Hello,

Usually the line for the vatican museums isn't too long after noon so you shouldn't have a problem seeing the Sistine chapel on your own. It will take about a half hour of good pace walking to get there from the entrance of the museums.

After the scavi tour you can go directly into St. Peter's but there is no way to get into the Sistine chapel without going through the vatican museums.

Here is what you should do with the time you have: Arrive at vatican museum, go directly through the museum to the sistine chapel. If the wait to get into the museum was less than a half an hour, spend a few minutes enjoying the treasures of the museum on your way to the chapel. After you exit the chapel make your way to the scavi tour. This is on the other side of St. Peter's basillica. Just show them your confirmation and they will let you in. Get there about half an hour before your tour is to start. Your scavi tour will be over with between 5 and 5:30 giving you enough time to get to your Presto tour. The vatican museum is opened until 4:45 in September and October and only until 1:45 in November and December.

Hope this helps, Donna

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
451 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

Donna, you are a gold mine of perfect advice, and we'll follow your suggestions exactly. Thank you so very much. One more question--would it be more efficient to purchase our tickets now? Again, thank you, Donna. Sharon

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for the very kind statements.

I think you will be okay to wait to buy your tickets but if it will give you peace of mind to do it now, then I would do it. If you are going at or after noon, with the lines being shorter, you should have no problems, but if you are concerned about the time limitation because of the scavi tour, then just book ahead to ease your worries and check one more thing to do off your list.

If you pre-book check around to get the best deal. Sometimes they charge up to 10 euros a ticket to pre-book. I don't know of any companies so I can't help you there but just remember, the entrance fee is 12.50.

Donna

new hampshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

how were u able to get a Scavi tour? did you do well in advance?

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
451 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

I think I just got incredibly lucky. I requested a tour to the official Scavi site about a month ago --if not longer-- and hadn't heard back from them. Since that tour tops my list of must do's, I wrote again last week, explaining that this was a second request . I respectfully asked if there was any chance that I had might be included in the tour and I rec'd a confirmation back a few days later with very specific instructions about where to send my acceptance and fee. It's a very efficient service and I feel lucky to be touring the scavi. I've read on this site that you must reserve months in advance and then I read that 20 days is appropriate; I can only figure that there must have been a cancellation and that I resubmitted my request at the right time. 20 days was the interval for me. Do a google search on "Scavi tour" and then limit your search to "requesting a tour"--you'll get all the info you need about how to email your request. Good luck. You can also find many posts here if you just type "scavi" into the search box and then read the forum questions and answers.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

thank you so much

cant tell if u are female or male...but what kind of purse do u feel safe taking...we have heard horror stories...i have been told that a fanny pack is not a good idea for either my husband or I

any suggestions

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
451 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

Whenever we travel, I carry a very small crotcheted purse, which I wear across my body and hold close; my husband wears a money belt under his shirt. Tonight, my brother, who's traveled to Rome before, told me we shoud be keeping our money in our shoes and our passports in the money belt. Not a bad idea, but my husband has two artificial knees and by the time he got his money out of the shoe, every thief in Rome could line up to snatch the bills out. Won't work for us, but maybe for you, eh? When are you going? We leave tomorrow and my feet are barely touching the ground! Just booked a 2 hr. bus trip to get an overview of the city. We'll only have 1 day in Rome on our return in 2 weeks, but before we catch a train to Tuscany we're going to take a look around Rome. I think you might want to post your question in the Rome forum. Start a new discussion with your question: Purse or no purse? what's safe? I wish I had done that. You'll get good advice from the many wonderful people on this forum. Happy travels to you; be safe & stuff your eyes with wonder. Sharon

Umhlanga Rocks...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

Hi there

I sent a e-mail request to 'scavi@fsp.va' and received a tour confirmation in 10 days!

It basically said the following:

Please may I request a reservation to visit the Scavi Excavation.

· The exact number of visitors

· Their names

· Language desired for the visit

· The dates available

· Contact information (before departure date, e-mail and fax number)

If it is at all possible, please may I request an early morning tour.

9. Re: Scavi tour confirmed; time for Sistine Chapel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 23:17