We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia & baggage

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia & baggage

My heart sinks when I read the volumes of posts about Alitalia losing luggage so I've decided to carry on. The restrictions, however, are confusing and the operator I reached didn't clarify the issues. I hope someone can help--their policy states that you're allowed one carry on (11 lbs) and one personal item. What constitutes a personal item? Can I have a laptop case into which I shoved another 11 pounds--toiletries and such? Can my husband have one gym bag and a backpack? When we travel to Mexico with carry on luggage, I carry a tote bag and roll on an appropriately sized suitcase that fits in the overhead bin. For Alitalia, I plan on just a larger tote bag, and I'm wondering if I can also bring on another smaller tote into which I've put my small purse and personal items. Can anyone share their experience or understanding of exactly what their policy means? I'd hate to have to throw out my husband's clothes. (Just kidding--) Sharon

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,136 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia & baggage

I am a very good packer but 11 lbs is VERY little. They say on th eweb site that in addition you can take a laptop,.briefcase and I assume a purse of some sort. When they say a laptop Iam assuming that they expect to find the laptop inside the case when they x-ray it. IF you are oging through Heathrow then you can only take 1 peic eon including you rhand bag. It seems like th eeuropean airlines are NOT encouraging carry on bags so I wouldn't foo around with them .I'd not try to put items other than what is expected into briefcases or computer cases unless youwant to be scrutinized more carefully.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia & baggage

Thank you -- and-- yes, I'm at 11 lbs without my shoes and necessaries. This presents a worthy challenge if specifications are clear. I understand your point about the laptop, but, now what about a small backpack? Surely there's no expectation for what's in there. I've googled "baggage" and "personal items" and it seems like a personal item is judged as such by a 36" total size. The Alitalia leg of our trip will take us from New Jersey to Rome so there's no worry about Heathrow. Odd that all other airlines hover around a 40 lb. carry on limit, but I guess that doesn't matter because we're not flying all other airlines!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia & baggage

I took Alitalia last December and they never checked my carry on baggage. I had a 22 inch rolly suitcase, and no one ever asked me to weigh it. Also the personal item has to fit under your seat (although I put it above).

If you are going nonstop, I dont think you have to worry. It seems most people have trouble when transferring planes.

Remember you stll have to worry about the amount of liquids you bring.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia & baggage

Reassuring feedback, for which I thank you. The woman I talked to at Alitalia implied that weight was less a problem than size, and that has been your experience--that's what I'll trust. I really can take that other pair of shoes now...whew... Again, thank you. Sharon

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia & baggage

pack a small traditional rollerboard suitcase and if they question it at check in or hassle about weight, it can then be checked if necessary

although Alitalia is a terrible airline and they do mess up luggage more than most -- the odds are still with any one individual of getting there and having their stuff

you and your husband should cross pack -- half your stuff in each bag and toiletries in each bag so that if one makes it and one doesn't, you have the minimum and wear on your jacket, your best walking shoes, sturdy dark slacks that you can wear for several days if need be

I always carry basic toiletries -- toothpaste, eye drops, small moisturizer and things like lipstick and eye shadow in my purse so I am not caught flat if the suitcase doesn't make it -- so maybe put toiletries in one rollerboard -- but a second quart baggy in your purse rather in the other rollerboard

Vancouver, B.C.
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia & baggage

Also be prepared to be refused your item as carry-on and requiring to be checked in.

I am also having the same concerns going to Rome via London/British Airways. One carry-on with no weight restrictions as I can read it BUT you cannot request help from flight staff with putting it in the overhead. Good luck.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia & baggage

All good ideas and I thank you for them. My most recent brainstorm was to take a 22" roll on and put my packed tote bag into it; if they deny that as a carry on, I can remove the tote, carry it on, and check an empty 22" suitcase (transfer books and non-essentials to it) which I'd use later to bring purchases back to the US. (It's the suitcase itself which is so darn heavy; I packed the tote yesterday and 2 weeks of very nice clothes barely weighed 10 lbs--minus the shoes, of course. I'd never have thought that.In any event, it's forcing me to pare back on taking too much. Since I am going directly from NJ to Rome, I don't have to worry about going through London--there restrictions for carry on are strict: I've read that just your purse will count as the carry on, so be sure it fits in the bag you're bringing on. Seems goofy to perseverate on such details like packing a certain way, but in the long run it can make the trip so much easier.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia & baggage

And Kathryn207, you don't need the flight attendant to help you...there's always someone ready with a helping hand if you just ask-- a kind, "Oops, I'm not strong enough...can someone give me a hand?" will get a quick response from someone. It seems like I'm always helping someone wrestle with a stubborn bag. Goodluck to you! (Enjoy Rome, too!)

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia & baggage

We are contemplating flying with Alitalia out of New Jersey...direct to Rome. I am so nervous about booking the flight. Please let me know how it goes. We are not planning on going till December.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,136 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia & baggage

I thought I was a good packer but ALL your clothes in a tote bag? How big is the bag?Do you mean a gym bag ,like a small duffel? Anyway I generally believe that when you travel you should be able to lift your own suitcase(unless of course you have physical issues).