We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Starting my pre-departure "to do" list to prepare things at home for while I'm gone. Add yours to mine!

I've contacted the bank to buy a few euros, increase my ATM withdrawal amount and let them know the dates I'll be in Rome.

Called my credit card company and let them know too!

I contacted the newspaper and postal service to stop delivery while I'm gone.

Contacted a neighbor to have him keep an eye on the house while we're gone and to water the plants.

Set up my "Photo Bucket" account to upload my photos of Rome from an internet portal.

Made 2 photocopies of passport, ATM & credit cards (front and back) and gave one copy to a relative and packed the other.

Before I go I'll:

Confirm my apartment rental and airport transfer by email.

Clean up the yard and cut the grass.

Turn off the water lines to my washer.

Unplug appliances.

Put timers on a few lights in the house.

Double check that all windows and doors are secure.

Drop off the pet to my sister-in-law.

Update my I-Pod.

Choose a good book to take with me.

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff, routine and boring but necessary... So add your list to mine and none of us will find ourselves in a panic on the day we're leaving!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Which book did you select?

Dont forget to pack a few wash cloths...you know the Italians never supply you with them!

Be sure to pack your meds and extra glasses or contact lens.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Great topic:

Buy an extra camera battery and remember to pack the charger

Schedule a nail appt

Confirm reservations with Borghese, Ufizzi etc.

Talk to my cell phone company about using my phone internationaly

Print train schedules

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Agatha,

Not sure about the book yet but these are in the running:

Donna Leon "Quietly in Their Sleep"

Cesare Pavese "The Moon and the Bonfires"

John Berendt "The City of Falling Angels"

Washcloths... check! :-)' (she's joking folks!)

Meds... check!

Reading and sun glasses... check!

The contents of the bathroom bag could be a whole different thread but this year we'll definitely be taking Emergen-C (vitamin C drink packets that fizz up with water) and No-Jet Lag, a product that's supposed to combat that dreaded affliction. We'll be buying shaving jel, toothpaste, shampoo, asprin, etc. in Rome.

Nice tips Shelle!

I'll add:

Take a trip to the barber for a trim.

Pay the bills.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Washcloths are no joke if you are accustomed to them, as I am. I had read too that they didn't use them in Rome and bought a dozen cheap ones at Target. I was very glad I did as there were none in our very nice hotel.

I also bought a one-cup coffeemaker called Brisk Brew as I really need coffee immediately upon awaking, sorry to confess.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Hearing aid batteries (sigh)

extra contact lenses

figure out how to get contact lens solution in 3 oz. bottle

hair appointment

international driver's license

stop newspaper

scan copies of passport, debit and credit cards and e-mail to self and daughter

e-mail full itinerary with hotel addresses and phone numbers to daughter

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Thanks Alison...i am not kidding. there are no washcloths in Italian Hotels. Well, I guess you can cut up those paper pants after your tour of the St Peter's.

I am a big fan of Donna Leon. She writes a good yarn but they are all set in Venice. Also, City of the Falling Angles is a good read but that too is set in Venice.

Are you going to Venice, Mike?

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

I have always found wash cloths in the better class hotels but not in average hotels in Italy.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Here are a list of some of my favorite authors who write "yellows" (mysteries) set in italy.

Andrea Camilleri

Michael Dibdin

Magdalen Nabb

You can usually buy them in paper back and used. They are relaxing reads just before you fall asleep after a day sight seeing!

Lincoln, Rhode...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

Ok , I've been lurking here for along time and I cant resist - Dont forget to have your Diamond Quilted Jacket cleaned and pressed before you go ! Will be leaving ourselves next Friday !

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Before you go... what's on your "to-do" list?

I always take 4 ratty paper thin washclothes from home -- save them for this purpose -- so we have them in Europe -- can discard them if they get gross along the way -- and definitely dump them before returning

don't plan on buying aspirin or similar meds in Europe -- they are sold in tiny quantities and are very expensive -- we paid as much for 10 ibuprofen as we would for a bottle of 100 at home -- so OTC meds that you are pretty sure to use should be one of the things you take -- we always have allergy meds, eye drops, ibuprofen and immodium -- and I usually take a few contac because it is no fun trying to find the Italian or French version if you come down with a raging sinus infection after a flight -- pills take up almost no space and are a hassle to hunt down --