We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We faxed a request for a tour and haven't heard back. We recieved a "no" reply from the Scavi but have not heard back on the Vatican tour. We are leaving in two weeks and I am starting to get nervous we may not get in. Any suggestions as to an alternative tour that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. I've heard Context Rome is great but also saw it is geared toward people with long attention spans, which we do not have. Thank you.

Bryn Mawr,PA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We read about Context Tours here and decided to book one for our one day in Rome. We were on a Princess cruise with limited time in Rome. As it transpired, we had less time than we planned (the bus was late arriving). Our Context Tour was wonderful! Our guide packed a ton of information into our 3 hour tour of the Vatican. We hit all the high spots, and she tailored the info to us (we are not Catholic, so were more interested in the art). I only booked the tour a couple of weeks before the date, and it was not a problem.

I wished we had booked with them for a tour of Florence as well!

We booked the Arte Vaticana tour.

Salt Lake City
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

I have toured with lots of Rome Tour companies as I lived there for a few months last year. Lots have good websites and look real good but some companies guides are not great. I took a tour with context travel. Context was full of information and yes it is for people who are looking for extra details and already know lots about Rome. The guides were full of information. Another company that had great guides and lots of itineraries was Presto Tours. Presto is a small company who are experts in Rome. I think they only offer tours of Rome (not sure, they may have expanded to other parts of italy/europe). Presto is perfect for a group of amateur travellers. They were great with children and spoke perfect english. Both companies have tiny groups. Both had about 10 people on the tours when i went.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

I am also looking to book a guided tour of the Vatican. Right now I am looking at througheternity.com. Their tours are about 6 hours long. You may want to check it out. I heard about them through the forums. Someone evensaid they were recommended by Rick Steve's Rome Guide. When are you going? I will be there from 11-16 September.

Littleton, Colorad
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We took the private tour of througheternity in August. Robert was our guide. We were actually disappointed. He talked in too much detail about individual art pieces, seemed very uninterested in any question we had (we actually quit asking becuase he made us actually feel stupid when we did ask), did not seem to care that we were not understanding his art expertise (and it was quite obvious) - and was just too cocky!. My oldest son is studying architecture and has had numerous art history classes - and even he didnt like Robert's attitude and how he handled the tour. We were so looking forward to a great afternoon - and felt very cheated.

We do, however recommend a small or private tour - there were MANY very large tour groups with headsets and following flags - that was crazy.

Good luck...

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We booked through vatican-tours.com and our tour was the highlight of our trip. The tour we took was of the vatican museums, sistine chapel and st peters basilica. Our tour group had around 11 people and our guide was terrific.

Rhino
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

What about transportation?

Tracy, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We will be there Sept. 21 after noon. Thinking about a tour through the Vatican, but worried like you about receiving confirmation (our travels start in 3 days). Our hotel recommends Icon Tours, but that is a flat 30 euros per person, plus the 13 entrance ticket (2.5 hours).

Can anyone give me more details regarding the official Vatican tour? The website states it includes admission and headsets. Does that mean you just follow a large group and listen to the headset? If it is that impersonal then it is better to do it on our own or go with a personally guided tour.

Thanks!

NJ, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

I went with Angel Tours in July of 2007. The tour was very informative and the entire group enjoyed it very much.

Key Colony Beach...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We willl be in Rome for 3 days from Sat. afternoon thru Monday next month and have seen many tour options for the vatican tours. With this schedule will have to see the Vatican on Monday. Is the 6 hour tour with Eternity "too detailed" for someone who is not an Art history expert and looking for a great overview but with a 6 hour tour I will need an interesting spin. (I did have an art history class in college at 8am and ALWAYS fell asleep with the mono-tone voice and slides in a dark room). And we are also waiting for the Scavi tour response.

Knoxville, Tennessee
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Vatican tour not sponsored by Vatican?

We booked with Three Millenia, which got great reviews on another site (slowtravel.com). I had a friend take the ContextRome Vatican tour and thought it was very good, but quite lengthy.