We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals or other shoes?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sandals or other shoes?

We will be in Rome the first week of July and I have purchased some very good walking sandals. Several of the posts have mentioned that sandals are a bad idea. Would I be better off with another type of shoe? I know we'll be doing a lot of walking and I want to be comfortable. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Scotland
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

Hi Chritty - i also bought a very good pair of leather walking sandals and as such, went though two boxes of plasters in two days - best thing i could suggest is take your trainers with you just in case - i wore them every day after the first one and they were the best thing to wear. trust me - from what i could see the majority of people had these on - alternatively - try wearing your sandals as much as you can until you go - for hours on end if you're going to be walking for hours every day which is what we did. Good luck - have a lovely time - i've just booked up again for September!

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

As long as the sandals are very comfortable you should be fine. We are going this summer and I will bring one pair of good walking sandals (that also look decent for eating out and such) and one pair of walking/trainer type athletic shoes.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll wear the sandals as much as possible and take a back-up pair of shoes.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

chritty-

What kind of sandals did you buy? I have been looking around for something cute and comfy for lots of walking, but haven't found anything that I like.

Appreciate your help...

Jeni

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,642 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

Wherever you go in Italy pavements and marble floors are hard.

Just take what you feel is the comfortable thing for you to wear during long days sightseeing on hard floors. I usually wear Mephisto ( a French make) stout cushioned-soled country walking shoes whilst my wife wears either Addidas leather walking shoes or Hotter walking shoes. We both change into something slightly smarter but still very comfortable in the evening

Do not bother what people say about fashion - choose comfort!!

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

I have been doing the "search" on comfortable fashionable shoes. Found Softspot mary janes,San Jose walker, they are heaven. very cushioned. Bought black Flyflot sandals on QVC , more padding and orthopedic in footbed than Clarks, but I walked all over Paris in my Clarks springers and they were fine. Bought the 3 strap adjustable in nubuck, looks a little nicer than velcro. Also just bought Geox pink/beige maryjanes. A cross between a sneaker and a shoe. Will try them end of May in Rome...will let you know.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

Take a look at Joseph Seibel or Ecco sandals. We've worn both all over Italy and they're so comfortable I think I could jog miles in them without a problem.

We like to buy good sandals that are leather with the nylon or whatever lining the leather.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

I walked around in my Tevas and was fine. It is so blasted hot there that I think sandals are a good idea.

One thing......when my husband and I changed into our athletic shoes we noticed more conartists (sorry but I dont know how else to say it) approached us speaking English and tried to get stuff from us. Living in europe I can say that most europeans never wear white athletic shoes. So you might want to invest in a more stylish pair so you blend in better.

But comfort is the MOST important thing. i had horrible blisters by day three from all the walking. :)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

Jenwee-- I was thinking the same thing about scams...

I just went out last night and got 2 pairs-- 1 Merrell, 1 Privo (a Clark's brand-- a little more fashionable than Clarks).

Can't decide which to keep. Might have to keep both! ;)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals or other shoes?

I bought a pair of Naturalizer leather thong sandals as an afterthought, the night before I left on my trip, and threw them in the bag, thinking, "well, I'll just return them to Lord and Taylor when I return, because surely stylish MOI wouldn't be caught dead in such an ugly pair of shoes!!!" hahahaha......my feet were still swollen from the flight over, so I immeditely put them on, thinking that no one KNOWS me here, so what they hey? needless to say, I LIVED in the Naturlaizers the total rest of the trip! It was like walking on clouds!!! and well made clouds at that! They really were my salvation, and it was VERY hot, so the open shoes came in handy for temperature comfort too.