We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

naples to rome

u.k
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
naples to rome

I don't speak italian although I have purchased a phrase book to get a basic knowledge of the language so I am a little concerned that I may have trouble trying to travel by train up to Rome.How will I know which platform the train leaves from in Naples? Sorry to be so ignorant but I would appreciate any advice.Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,566 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from US$58.70*
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: naples to rome

It works pretty much the same way as it works in the UK - there's a big board with train times and destinations on, with "Partenze" (departures) written above it, and it will tell you what platform the train leaves from. Platform is "binario" (actually "binario" is technically "track", but that's what they use to tell you where the train's leaving from!), often abbreviated to "bin."

The only thing is, you're not necessarily looking for a train with "Roma" as its final destination, as some carry on and go further north. Will you know in advance what train you want to get on or were you planning on just turning up and getting on a train? If you'll know in advance then you'll know the exact train time so you'll probably be able to tell from that. But also, if you go onto the Trenitalia website you can get the number of the train (Eurostars have a 4 digit number). That number will also come up on the departures board.

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: naples to rome

A little tip - ignore the permanent boards posted at the end of each platform showing the schedule and track numbers. These may be generally accurate, but to be sure you get on the right train you need to keep your eye on the big overhead electronic board. So many trains go in and out of Naples than the board may not show your train until 10 mins or so before it leaves.

Don't worry, it's quite easy. You'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
3. Re: naples to rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 02:16