We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
261 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
"Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

Hello fellow travellers....

I've found a tour on Viator (link below) that claims to skip the line at the Vatican Museums - is this true?

I've heard the lines for the Vatican Museums are notoriously long, even for tour groups, so not sure if this tour really does skip the line?

Also - has anyone toured with this company? Are they reputable? After being ripped-off before on an on-line tour booking, I'm a bit nervous about this....

Cheers

Becs

(viator.com/tours/…d511-2390GRET3)

NJ
Level Contributor
204 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

Hi I just came back yesterday from Rome and THANK GOD we had a tour booked for the vatican museum. We walked right in and didnt wait for more then 5 minutes. The line was a mile long it seemed otherwise. We went via green line tours for the vatican museum.

We were there on a wednesday for a short while since the pope gave a mass audience and went to the museum on thursday.

it was soo crowded. i thought it was the low season, but there were literally million of people.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

I agree there doesn't seem to be a low season for the queue.

I have just returned from Rome and went to the Vatican museum on Monday (thinking this would be a quiet day!!)

The queue time on that day was one and a half hours...not too bad I suppose, but it was definitely long and slow moving.

The queue for the Basilica on the other hand moved very fast.

To be honest I much preferred the Basilica to the museum, and would highly recommend the climb to the top of the dome to anyone fit enough to do it.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

My husband and I went to the Vatican and St. Peter's this past Tuesday. From previous research, I had read to go at lunchtime and this worked out beautifully. We arrived around 12noon and there was a very long line in the hot sun to get into St. Peter's. We decided instead to shop on the main street nearby and go for a coffee and bite to eat. By 12: 30pm we went back, and there was no line at all to get into St. Peter's!! We went there first, it's free. Then, we walked around on our own just admiring everything. There are people there where you can pick up a tour. The Sistine Chapel is at the Vatican museum which is a few blocks away. We found our way there around 1:30. There was a short line that moved quickly. We took a couple of hours to look at the sites there and that's just scratching the surface. However, we found that our brains could only absorb so much beauty without overload, so after the Sistine chapel we left at 3: 30pm. Funny thing, when we left there was another really long line to get into St. Peter's. I guess a lot of people were showing up after lunch.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
144 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

So is it better to book with a tour company? Ahead of time or when we arrive in Rome? Also, which company?

And does this mean that we don't need to fax in for an appt. to visit?

Thanks

romelocal
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

Viator is like the 'expedia' of tour companies so as someone mentioned they're just the middle man and can't really vouch for the service you'll be receiving.

However, there are several companies that you can book with directly to get the 'skip the line' service such as:

www.rome-museum.com

www.prestotours.com

www.myvaticantour.com

Just peruse the sites and see which time slot and which company works best for you. Keep in mind though that you actually won't 'totally avoid the line'. How it works is that you will get in a shorter line -the travel agent line. Usually during busy season the line is anywhere from 20 min to an hour.

If you REALLY want to skip all lines (even the 20 min wait described above) choose a company that offers the special entrance tour before 9 AM or after 12 PM when there is really little to no chance there will be any lines at all for the travel agents.

:)

Rome
13 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

For what its worth...wednsday is pope day..and st.peters square is full of people..and the museum line is non existant....when the pope finishes...the museum line suddenly becomes huge as people rush oof to see the sistine chapel... free sunday is the only sunday of the month that the museums are open. its always the last sunday of the month...and a billion cheapskates go to the vatican then..avoid free sundays..time is money and it will be wasted in a three hour line..

visit the museums on a tuesday or a thursday if you want to go straight in without the line.

The museums are the largest on earth..1400 hundred rooms..each romm of coarse has 4 walls and a ceiling...so there is a hell of a lot to see.

Be smart...get a tour guide...who speaks english..knows the right people and therefore can skip the line.. you are traveling a long way to get to rome and its best to make the most of your precious time there..

generaly tours cost about 40 euros..including the 14 euro entrance fee

peace pace

Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

Man in Rome-

We were there this past Thursday Oct 8, 08. So the Tues/Thurs thing didn't apply in this AM. There was a line for the museum around the corner in the morning. Our tour (Angel Tours) did not wait but cleared our paperwork and went right in. That being said when we left in the afternoon there was a very small line for the museum so T/Th might work in the PM.

Rome
13 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

Well , like I said.. Getting a guide will save you all the hassles of a line regardless of which day you're there.

If you thought Thursday AM was busy..try Friday AM.!!

Everyone thinks to beat the line you have to get there early..which is why there is a huge line first thing in the morning!

Everthing is relative..and T/TH are generaly quieter than other days...though by no means dead! We are talking about the most visited place in Europe!

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

while aussie Becs has finished the tour OVER ONE YEAR ago, this thread lives on. Here is a 2008 update: What many have posted on this forum is true: no need to skip the line most of the afternoons. We went right after lunch on Thursday Sept 18th and even though we foolishly walked PAST the line to the entrance and had to turn around and walk to the back of the line which stretched the length of the wall, we were inside in 15 minutes. We did the tour at our own pace, letting the tour groups swirl around pushing each other to see the painting or sculpture before they were hustled on, then enjoyed it at our leisure up close with plenty of room. The Etruscan vase section was deserted as many of the tours skipped it.

30. Re: "Skip The line" at Vatican Museums??!! Could this be true?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 13:19