We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

We are taking my parents to rome for their anniversary and have seen many lovely apartments in this area. how far a walk to the tourist attractions (forum, trevi, spanish steps) is it? we would like to walk to these atractions, but wouldn't mind public transport for the vatican.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

sorry, i am updating my own question!

i did a search and found that trastevere may be a bit further of a walk than my parents would like.

any suggestions for areas to rent an apartment four people, two of them middle aged? good central location for monuments, but not sketchy/scary area?

Levittown, NY
Level Contributor
363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

Hello!

We stayed in the Prati area near the Vatican and Castle San't Angelo and from there it wasn't a bad walk to The Spanish Steps and Trastevere. We tried walking from there to the Villa Borghese near the Trevi Fountain and my feet almost fell off. But the buses aren't too difficult to navigate. I think you'd be ok in Trastevere using public transport. A lot of people enjoy that area because of the restaurants and shops, etc. I liked the Prati area very much. It was residential and safe, with a fair amount of restaurants and wine bars, etc. Another nice location is the area around The Pantheon, and The Campo di Fiore.

Good luck and enjoy your trip,

Stasz

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Prati
Hotel Prati
240 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
246 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,510 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Villa Borghese
Villa Borghese
7,197 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,201 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,146 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

thank you!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

If you do a search in the search box for "apartments rome" you should come up with a host of info. Likewise, you can research using slowtrav.com, where people post comments on apartments, locations, and apartment rental companies. You would do well to choose a place near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona in order to walk the least and fall out your door to sights/sites and restaurants a plenty. There are tons in this area. Also fine, but more crowded on the streets, are the areas surrounding the Spanish Steps and the Trevi -- these are more touristed and you will have to navigate past them when getting to most other sights and places of interest, but they can be lovely areas and are very safe, too.

Just aim to be as central as you can afford to be in order to save energy, hopping in and out of cabs, etc. When my parents visit (though a little beyond middle aged, admittedly) I am always amazed at how long it takes them to walk anywhere. My "just around the corner" seems to be their "a mile away!"

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,146 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,466 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

thank you so much! that was so helpful.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

We're staying in Trastevere in October and I used www.mappy.com to determine the distance to various sites. On that site you can choose to have the distance figured out for walking, as opposed to driviing, and you can decide for yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,510 Reviews
Rome, Italy
7. Re: Trastevere - how far a walk to the monuments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 16:17