We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome stay between Christmas and New Year.

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rome stay between Christmas and New Year.

Hi

I have done a search of previous discussions on visiting Rome over Christmas. Most of the discussions were about what was and wasn't open for Xmas and the 26th Dec. We are looking at arriving in the evening of the 26th and staying for 4 nights. I'm wondering how busy the city will be during this time of the year. Is it a popular and busy time to visit? Any will it be business as usual on the days I am looking at staying? Is Rome a good place to stay over this time period?

I would be really grateful of any help.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome stay between Christmas and New Year.

I'm glad you asked those questions. We'll be in Rome during that same time frame and was wondering the same thing. I hope some "experienced" Rome travelers can answer!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome stay between Christmas and New Year.

You might find some restaurants closed on the 26th, and the Vatican is closed on the 26th, but the Vatican Museum is open until 3:30 on the 27, 28 and 29. It's free entrance on the 30th.

I think you'll find most everthing open on the days that you're going to be there.

Have fun!

Vicki

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome stay between Christmas and New Year.

There's plenty of things open then and though a lot of Roman's take holidays, certainly on the 26th, you'll find museums and restaurants to keep you busy and well-fed. The city can be lovely this time of year with lots of visitors actually including Roman-born ones who return for the holidays. The atmosphere is very festive and crisp and there are much less tourists to contend with. Some years you luck out with extraordinarily nice weather, other years, like the winter before last, it gets pretty cold and wet.

4. Re: Rome stay between Christmas and New Year.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 01:17