We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
193 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

Hello everyone - We are planning our trip to Italy for next month and I have been trying to put together an itinerary that will allow us to see most things but still have time to relax (and maybe take a siesta or two). We are young (late-twenties) but we like to take our time enjoying the scenery.

I'm still trying to fit in: Night tour of Rome, St. Peter's in Chains, and San Clemente. Please let me know your thoughts - I'm wondering if we will have time on Day 1 to complete Ancient Rome or should we try to move things around? Thank y'all so much!!!!!!

Day 1 (Monday)

Arrive at train station at 3:30 PM. Make way to B&B in Travestere (Arco del Lauro - right by river).

Colosseum - Forum - Palatine Hill

Dinner back at Travestere

Day 2 (Tuesday)

Campo dei fiori in the morning (and lunch)

Vatican Museum tour - Sistine Chapel - Basilica

Day 3 (Wednesday)

Spanish Steps - Trevi Fountain - Pantheon

dinner in Piazza Navona

Day 4 (Thursday)

Day trip to Pompeii (I know it is a long day, but it has been a dream of mine since my high school history class, if we are exhausted I may settle for Ostia Antica but my heart is really set on Pompeii)

Day 5 (Friday)

Leave Rome at 8 AM

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ancient Rome
Ancient Rome
736 Reviews
Province of Rome, Italy
Arco del Lauro
Arco del Lauro
846 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,705 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,816 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
246 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,217 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,229 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,159 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,472 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

Go to Pompeii and don't settle of anything else. You will love it. Don't pas up your dream. Nice intelligent older gentlemen standing at the entrance who will give you a tour (you dont have to hire them but it is a good idea to do so)..they know all the stories to make Pompeii alive. They dont charge too much..i "think" about 10 ro 15 euros. Money well spent.

I like your plan for Rome. Not too much, but enough.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

I think Agatha is right... again! :-)

If you want to add San Clemente (From Monday to Saturday, 09.00-12.30 & 15.00-18.00 Last entrance to the excavations at 12.10 & 17.40) and San Pietro in Vincoli (open 7-12.30 and 15.30-18 then Wednesday is your day.

These sites should be seen both day and night... see if you can find a walking tour that will include them. Many guide books will have suggestions although the Rick Steve's book comes to mind.

Source info for times:

http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

http://www.romecity.it/Sanpietroinvincoli.htm

Mentioned in this post
San Pietro in Vincoli
San Pietro in Vincoli
5,087 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,229 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,159 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

From my own experience, I would suggest maybe moving the Spanish Steps - Trevi Fountain - Pantheon to Day 1. Easier to do these in the shorter time you have that day, and they are magical in the early evening. You can have a drink in front of the Pantheon and proceed to dinner on Piazza Navona where there are also many good places to eat while you soak in the atmosphere.

That leaves you the full day (Wed) to do the Colosseum - Forum - Palatine Hill area, and you could then fit San Clemente in as well.

However, you may not be as interested in Ancient Rome as I am, in which case your proposed plan is fine.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,668 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,229 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,159 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,472 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,705 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,816 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ancient Rome
Ancient Rome
736 Reviews
Province of Rome, Italy
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

Do you think I could fit the Steps/Fountain/Pantheon in on the first evening? That would be neat because we could do the free 7pm tour of Pantheon and then do dinner the Piazza Navona.

We are more into ancient history than the arts. We could also go back to the Steps area Wednesday afternoon if we feel we missed something.

Do ya'll think that would work out?

Thanks for everyone's input. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not squeezing too much in. This is a dream trip for me so I am ecstatic!

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,159 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,472 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

Don't have dinner on Piazza Navona - it will beoverpriced and not very good. Have dinner in any of dozens of restaurants in the area and go to Piazza Navona for a coffee, a gelato or an after-dinner drink. Those will also be overpriced but by comparatively less.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,472 Reviews
Rome, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

I would agree regarding dinner at the Piazza Navona - you'll simply end up with overpriced frozen, reheated food. One thing you must do (perhaps after your 7pm Pantheon tour) is visit the Caffe della Palma for ice cream - it's fabulous and very close to the Piazza della Rotonda where the Pantheon is situated. I think your Vatican trip is well timed - when I last visited, we waited till around 1.30pm and the queues just disappeared as everyone headed for lunch.

Another nice evening meandering is around the area of via del governo vecchia - it's easily reached if you're walking back from the vatican past Castel San Angelo across the river. At night it's a mass of people, lively bars and restaurants - I loved it.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,472 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,159 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Della Palma
Della Palma
1,961 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza della Rotonda
Piazza della Rotonda
480 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
246 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

Since you don't arrive in Rome until 3:30PM, you won't make it to the Coliseum/Palatine Hill/Forums, until 4:30 or so after checking in to your hotel. If you're into ancient Roman history as you say, I really don't think you're allowing enough time to take in these things. I certainly wouldn't plan on a 7PM tour of the Pantheon.

Since you're staying in Trastevere, be sure to visit the church of S. Cecilia, a short walk from your B&B. There is a wonderful excavation of an ancient Roman villa underneath it.

By the way, you do know don't you that normally no one is at the Arco del Lauro that time of day to let you in. You'll need to make special arrangements with the owner to arrive late in the afternoon. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check your confirmation email - it should state this.

Enjoy Roma.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,816 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,510 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Arco del Lauro
Arco del Lauro
846 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

agree -- St. Peter in Chains and San Clemente are both near the Colosseum so group the visit then -- and note the times someone posted -- St. Peter and the Michelangelo Moses are 'must sees' IMHO and I did love San Clemente

but if you must do one -- I'd do the Michelangelo Moses

I agree that Wednesday is light -- Spanish Steps is nothing -- I wouldn't even bother (but if you must, it doesn't take much time) -- the Trevi Fountain is also a quicky -- we once had take out capucino at dawn there quite lovely -- and the Pantheon is IMHO the most wonderful building in the world

I am not sure why you need a 'tour' of the Pantheon -- certainly if you read up a bit, you don't need someone else leading you about -- just go when it works for you

and although others have cautioned against tourist trap restaurants in Piazza Navona etc etc and this point is well taken -- this is one place I'd go for the tourist trap -- have dinner that first evening at one of the outdoor cafes in front of the Pantheon -- you can get a decent pizza or whatever, have a glass of wine and just bask in the beauty of the place -- sometimes the view is everything

re: Pompeii -- can't beat the real deal -- it was a dream of mine too and I am glad I finally got there -- we did it from Sorrento and it is certainly a tough stretch from Rome -- but there is something satisfying about realizing a dream like this (felt the same way about Angkor Wat and have never regretted the efforts to get there) Ostia Antica and Ercolano are also 'close' and great places to visit -- but Pompeii is Pompeii -- if it has been a dream don't pass it up - accept no substitutes (and make sure you have a good guidebook)

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,705 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,229 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,159 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,472 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Sorrento
Sorrento
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ercolano
Ercolano
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

jjkdc - Thanks for the heads up. I have been in touch with Lorenza at the B&B and someone will be there to meet us.

I'm definitely feeling overwelmed now. Could anyone please make suggestions on how they would order things. I would be open to taking out Camp dei fiori if needed to make more room. I think I would prefer to see the churces and the other items listed if it came down to shortening our list.

Thanks everyone!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please review 3.5 day itinerary - Thanks!

Well,

You could do this:

Day 1 (Monday)

Arrive at train station at 3:30 PM. Make way to B&B in Travestere (Arco del Lauro - right by river).

dinner in Piazza Navona area.

Day 2 (Tuesday)

Pantheon Interior and Campo dei fiori in the morning (then lunch)

Vatican Museum tour/Sistine Chapel - Basilica

Day 3 (Wednesday)

Colosseum - Forum - San Pietro in Vincoli - Palatine Hill - San Clemente

Dinner back at Travestere

Day 4 (Thursday)

Day trip to Pompeii (I know it is a long day, but it has been a dream of mine since my high school history class, if we are exhausted I may settle for Ostia Antica but my heart is really set on Pompeii)

Day 5 (Friday)

Leave Rome at 8 AM

Mentioned in this post
Arco del Lauro
Arco del Lauro
846 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,229 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon