We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

Albrightsville...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

Will be i rome and venice along with france for about 3 weeks.

can anyone here advise on a good company to purchase or rent a cell phone for europe use?

also if you can advise of the best rate plans available or ones you have had sucess with and where you obtained them would be greatly appreciated....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

We buy from Vodaphone, which has stores everywhere; i think they may even have a store in Fiumicino and Termini station, certainly you'll find one on the north end of the Corso. Tim is the service we use and its easy because you pay as you go. Additional phone cards are available from many sources like Tobacchi, the same places you pick up bus tickets.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

We're going to Prague, Spain and Italy in a few weeks and I've rented 2 phones from planetfone.com. We're AAA members and they give a discount, so it seems pretty reasonable, something like $45 to rent the phone for 3-4 weeks. The responded quickly to my questions, and the things I've read about them on this website have all been positive. We thought about buying them when we got there, but decided renting made more sense for us as we're arriving in 2 separate groups and wanted to have the phones (and the numbers) before we left.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

I will be renting this summer with www.worldcr.com by far they have the best rates. I will be renting for 3 weeks $45 .46cents a min for local in Italy calls, .99 cents a min for calls to the US or anywhere in the world for that matter and all incoming calls are free it doesnt matter where they are coming from. You will be getting a local Italy number that is why the rates are pretty good compare to other companies. Good Luck

San Diego, CA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

Hi there, In my last trip I visited Florence and Rome in May, and I rented a phone from a US based company. phonerentalusa.com. It was for me by far the most convenient option as I wanted to have the phone before I left the US. They gave me a local Italian number and a 1-800 US number (yes, 2 numbers in one phone). So people from Italy and The US could call me locally. They have 24/7 customer service. Voicemail and instructions are in english and they sent me the cuttest phone, a Motorola V180 flip phone with speaker phone.

Have a good trip !

San Diego
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

If you are renting a car from AutoEurope, they provide "free" phone rental - you only pay $40 shipping and then a per minute charge. We are renting a car for only 2 weeks but could have had this phone for 1 month. In the end we have decided to buy phone cards and try surviving a month without a cell phone.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone Provide Cell Phone Rental/Purchase info

We got a "free" world phone from mobalphone.com. You pay a $10.00 shipping fee and they send you a phone with a wall charger, 3 different converters, and a car charger. The phone number works all over Europe and the calls are $1.25/minute. We just needed it for emergencies and to have with us as we drove. It is a previous rental phone, so it's not the newest style, but for $10.00 ...