We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday Morning in Vatican City

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
Monday Morning in Vatican City

I went to Vatican City on the ill advised Monday Morning tour. Granted, our guide said that this was unusually crowded, but here's what it looked like:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1277465

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

I've seen the square a lot more crowded than that.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

That is absolutely hilarious. Thanks for making me smile today!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

i forgot to say that I really enjoyed the video. It's certainly better than your average tourist video!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

Thank you. I'm only 5'1" so a was a little overwhelmed with all the people. Fortunately, most things were up high so I could see!

The square wasn't as crowded as inside the museum, basilica & chapel.

I loved my visit, but I would like to go back in the afternoon when it is less crowded.

NJ
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

Thanks for sharing.. :)

We had a SIMILAR experience on a thursday. I didnt know this was such a HIGH SEASON.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,648 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

I went to the Vatican museums once in August. The crowds were unbelievable. There was no air conditioning inside. In the Sistine Chapel, there was a visible cloud of humidity suspended in the air.

Never again! I wish they would limit the number of people inside at any one time, as many museums do (the Uffizi, for example). I would be happy to have a reservations only policy if I could be sure to be able to enjoy the experience more.

It would also help if they would have a separate entrance for people who *only* want to see the Sistine Chapel, or move the main entrance nearer the Sistine Chapel. (There is another door there.) Most of the people who are crowding the main galleries are just en route to the Sistine Chapel, but they have to walk a great distance right through galleries where other people are trying to see the art.

7. Re: Monday Morning in Vatican City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 23:17