We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ROME with Chilrden

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ROME with Chilrden

We just spent 4 days in Rome with children and had an amazing time.

Our highlights were:

1) Crypt of the Capuchin Monks - if your kids want to see bones...this is the place. The monks have used bones to create art work. Cost is a small donation. My kids were disappointed with the Catacombs of Priscella as they wanted to see bones.

2) Ostia Antica WAS another huge hit. We used a metro day pass and travelled 30 mins on a train to get to it. The kids loved exploring the ruins.

3) Climbing the Dome of St Peters - this was also amazing. The kids loved counting how many steps to the top. A little tip - get there at 8am as there are hardly any queues.

4) Gelatti from Pellacchia (Via Cola di Rienzo 103 - Vatican Area). We all loved the Caramello flavour and they are so big!!!!.

5) We downloaded and placed on our ipods - information on many of the sites. We downloaded a kids version. This saved us money as we didn't do the tours. We just walked around with our ipods.

6) Our apartment in the Vatican area was huge. There was 7 of us. We used rentalinrome and they were great.

7)I would also recommend using a taxi to transfer you to and from the airport. We used romecabs and they were great. It just took the stress off getting to and from the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ROME with Chilrden

fordhopper, thanks for your great advice! Can I ask how old your kids are and how long you spent in Rome?

Did you do the other typical sightseeing like the Vatican?

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ROME with Chilrden

My kids are 12, 10 and 7. We also visited the Colesseum, the forum , the Pantheon and the Trevi fountaion - all in a day. My 12 year old enjoyed everything but my 7 and 10 year old were a little restless. We found stopping every 45 mins and having gelatti or McDonalds helped alot.

We climbed the dome and then looked around St Peters in a morning. In the afternoon we took our 12 year old to the Vatican Museum(no queue at all) - he loved it. We did not do a tour - just walked around on our own. My mum stayed at the apartment and looked after the other two. We were in Rome for 3 nights and covered alot of ground. We got lost so many times on the Metro - had lots of giggles when this happened.

Ostia Antica was so relaxed. We could let the kids just wonder around - it's like a mini pompeii. We spent an afternoon there.

Try and find the Crypt of the Capuchin Monks. My address is:Via Veneto 27. We did get lost trying to find it. It is very small and you would probably only spend 30 minutes there - my kids are still talking about it.

The apartment was also great as we cooked most nights. This saved alot of money.

All the best.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ROME with Chilrden

great list -- my kids loved all these things as well --

and with a crowd this big, it is almost always cost effective to take cabs or a van/cab and so convenient

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ROME with Chilrden

We are going with our teens in December. I am curious about the ipod downloads. Do you have any specifics on that? I am trying to do as much research ahead so I can save some money on tours. Taking the kids definitely adds to the cost.

My husband and I just took a course on the Renaissance artists. It was great and we feel like we are going to really be able to appreciate Florence so much more.

Glad your trip was great.

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ROME with Chilrden

I did a google seach on podcasts. The one we used in Rome was: www.Sound-Guides.com

It had an adult and kids version for ipods or mp3players - Good Luck

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ROME with Chilrden

Thanks, I checked out the website and they look great. Did you listen to them before you went, or just at the actual site?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ROME with Chilrden

Though most of these guides are not known for their accuracy, they can be very entertaining for kids and some are very good. Other sites I've seen: Ijourneys.com, and italyguides.it.

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ROME with Chilrden

Kids listened to them on plane and when they were walking around. Older boy was also writing a diary and listened to it when he needed information for his entries. Information was entertaining and not too long.

9. Re: ROME with Chilrden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 01:16